Established in 1876, it was until 1947 Florida's only state mental institution. The facility's property previously served as a military arsenal during the Seminole Wars and the American Civil War, and later became the site of Florida's first state prison The hospital's current Administration Building was adapted from the original Officers' Quarters of the Arsenal and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Has information on current and past patients; a master index with the dates of admission, discharge and/or death. Contact the Florida State archives for further information. Records created more recently than 50 years ago are considered confidential medical files and are restricted.