Begun during the 75th anniversary of the City, this collection contains over 800 photographs of city people, places and events. Including photographs pertaining to Altamonte Springs City History: the Altamonte Hotel, the Altamonte Chapel, Altamonte Mall, noteworthy historical people, etc. They also have the archival records and collections of the Altamonte Springs Historical Society which is no longer active. Old photographs, files on historic buildings, and a few objects of significance.
Archival records and collections are currently held at the Altamonte Springs City Library, consisting mainly of old photographs, files on historic buildings, and a few artifacts of significance. Persons interested in viewing the collection should contact the Altamonte Springs library at 407-571-8830.
Society is no longer active at this time. See Altamonte library above.
Collects, researches, preserves, and exhibit materials and artifacts relating to the history of Anna Maria Island through its museum, City Jail, Belle Haven [cracker] Cottage and the Mangrove Walk’s indigenous garden. Has local history books, T-shirts, vintage photographs, Island artwork by local artists, maps and an online exhibit with rare books, large basket, bowl,bottle and box collections and photos in a searchable database.
Photo archives of people and buildings. Many artifacts from the 1800s to the early 1950s Many local Indian artifacts found near Lake Apopka, Artifacts from the lumber, citrus, turpentine and foliage industries. Microfilm and Scrapbboks of articles from Apopka Chief newspaper, Highschool yearbooks.
In 1976 a group of Volusia County teachers ceated a living History muesum with a dedicated,ongoing program of preserving artifacts, buildings and regional amd local history. The Settlement began moving local and regional historically significant buildings onto the property, and a historical "village" setting emerged. Featured structures include: Pierson Railroad Depot - Circa 1885,Turpentine Still - Circa 1924,Lewis Log Cabin - Circa 1875 and Huntington Post Office - Circa 1885. Through the years, additional workshops were built to exhibit various historical trades and life ways of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s: Print Shop, Wheelwright Shop/Carriage House, Woodwright Shop, Blacksmith Shop, and the Timucuan-Myacca and Seminole Villages.
Sponsors interactive field trips, self and guided tours and Special Events such as Fall Country Jamboree and the Spring Frolic and Celebration of Olde Florida. Group, family and individual memberships are available.
This institutional archives includes documentation of the construction of the Center in the 1930's including photographs and other records of the life of a large medical center. A friends group hopes to build a small museum on the grounds still hopes to establish a small museum to house the archival materials. A scrapbook of the first African American LPM nurse to serve in Pinellas County is included. Currently all material is stored in the Medical Library and access is by appointment only.
The museum contains approximately 2,000 artifacts, 2,500 photographs and a library containing 200 volumes of local and Florida History. Included in the museum collection is an electronic archive of the Dunedin Times Newspaper, from 1924 through 1965. The collection includes antique clothing, household tools and utensils used by Dunedin pioneer families during the 1870's through the 1900's.
Part of the Polk County History Center occupying the second floor. A selection of materials related specifically to the history of Polk include newspapers, aerial photographs, city directories, property tax rolls, cemetery records and more. The library website contains a number of online resources, including indexes to Polk marriages, cemeteries and obituary records.
This repository holds the papers of Lawrence Will Special Collections, an author-historian who wrote several books on South Florida including Okeechobee Hurricane. The collection chronicles the development of the area.
To preserve, exhibit, and provide educational programs about the history, cultural heritage, geology and geography, ecology and economy of the geographical region of Florida that centers around the southeastern shores of Lake Okeechobee, especially the western section of Palm Beach County. Explores the “total multifaceted Glades experience.” that is part of that vast River of Grass that sustains the Everglades.
Collects materials documenting the history, economic development, culture and lives of the people of Boca Raton and South Florida. Includes city public records, architectural drawings, maps, oral histories, artifacts and memorabilia, periodicals, photographs. Collections include the 200 manuscripts, 150 scrapbooks and 600 reference books.
This institutional archives and academic special collections houses several unique collections of artists' books, sound recordings, print music, rare books and manuscripts, Judaica, the Civil War, the history and development of Palm Beach, South Florida and the FAU archives. Notable for Florida author Theodore Pratt's personal and business papers, and copies of first and foreign editions of his works. The Jaffe Center for the Book Arts has grown to include over 12,000 titles and is one of the largest and most varied of its kind in the United States.
Houses an historical archive collection with material pertaining to the history of Boynton Beach and surrounding South Florida towns. The collection includes Boynton Beach newspapers (1947-2007), maps, documents, scrapbooks, journals, postcards, photographs, news clippings and oral histories of pioneers families.
Serves the mission of the seminary, its collection is mainly comprised of works in philosophy. Because of the bilingual and multicultural nature of the seminary, the library collection includes many titles in Spanish. Moreover, because of the Seminary’s unique geographical and cultural setting, the library also includes many Latin American resources. The philosophy collection exceeds three thousand volumes, mostly in English and Spanish, with supplementary materials in French, German and Latin.
Rare Books room, An institutional archives that contains the official memoranda of Seminary Rectors and board members, curricula from past and present faculty, student theses, video tapes of official functions plus photographs of Seminary events. Also has a small museum function.
An institutional archives documenting social services including residential facilities for youth in Florida. Extensive files on events and fund raisers include donor records, documentation of the Office of the President and Board plus records on running the programs around the state.
The only black history museum located at a community/state college. A gallery and resource center for the study of African-American achievements. Exhibits include a timeline of significant events in African-American history, including slavery, fights for freedom, community building and education, the Harlem Renaissance, the Civil Rights movement, Kwanzaa, and the modern era in South Africa. There are also displays about the Underground Railroad and a collection of African masks.
The History Room provides archival support for the collections of the Manatee County Historical Society. Materials include over 27,000 photographs, extensive files on local history and back files of county newspapers documenting county history.
Hundreds of books on Florida and local history; maps, magazines, City directories, yearbooks, local newspapers, transcribed oral interviews and speeches. The Historical Image Digital Collection has over 30,000 images of Manatee County people, activities, and buildings from the late nineteenth century to the early 1980's. In addition to depicting schools, churches, hospitals, and means of transportation, the photographs feature many prominent local families and their important role in building and documenting Manatee County. Extensive genealogy collection.
Manatee County’s early governmental records dating back to 1856. Probate files, marriage licenses, tax records, voting registrations, and soldiers' and sailors' discharge books, city directories, Sanborn and plat maps, aerial photographs, early school attendance records, deed abstracts and newspaper/obituary files.
Natural and general cultural history museum documenting the region from the Pleistocene to the present. Includes fossil evidence of Florida’s earliest mammals and marine species and a collection of prehistoric and early post-contact archeological artifacts. Focuses on Florida’s ecology and bio-diversity,covers local maritime traditions, early 20th-century medical practices and Spanish exploration in the New World. Spanish Plaza has full-scale replicas of a 16th-century manor house, chapel and conquistador Hernando DeSoto’s birthplace.
Parker Manatee Aquarium, Bishop Planetarium are in the same location. Snooty, a West Indian manatee has lived at the museum since 1949.
Called the Dade Massacre site, it preserves the Second Seminole War battlefield where Seminole Indian warriors fought soldiers under the command of Major Francis L. Dade on December 28, 1835. Each year, on the weekend after Christmas (as close to the original date as possible), the Dade Battlefield Society sponsors a reenactment of the battle that started the Second Seminole War Dade Battlefield Historic State Park includes the preserved battlefield area, reconstructed log breastworks and a museum/visitor center as well as picnic areas and walking trails. Park visitors can get acquainted with the battle history by viewing a twelve minute video, " This Land, These Men." Mannequins provide a glimpse of the clothing worn by the soldier and Seminole and the muskets each used. There are other audio exhibits and displays of artifacts related to the battle. Visitors can purchase a variety of books related to Dade's battle with the Seminoles, as well as books about the Seminole Wars, Seminole Culture and more.
Documents, preserves and displays the history and all aspects of life in the Cedar Keys. Collections include records of railroads, commercial fishing, the pencil and cedar mill industries, palmetto fiber industry, city records, military activities during Civil and Seminole Wars plus extensive historical photographs.
The Alger-Sullivan Lumber Company built the mill town Century in the early 20th century, collection contains business records, many photographs and examples of the logging and lumber industries of the late 1800s and the 1900s in three (FREE!) museums: The Boxcar, Post Office, Leach House Museum
Established in 1876, it was until 1947 Florida's only state mental institution. The facility's property previously served as a military arsenal during the Seminole Wars and the American Civil War, and later became the site of Florida's first state prison The hospital's current Administration Building was adapted from the original Officers' Quarters of the Arsenal and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Has information on current and past patients; a master index with the dates of admission, discharge and/or death. Contact the Florida State archives for further information. Records created more recently than 50 years ago are considered confidential medical files and are restricted.
A full size replica of Fort Christmas which was built during the Second Seminole Indian War, 1835 - 1842. Seven restored historical homes preserve the 'Cracker' architecture of East Orange County. The houses are interpreted to show pioneer life from the 1870s through the 1930s. Key themes are homesteading, cattle, citrus, hunting, fishing and trapping. Has exhibits, a video presentation on the Seminole Indian Wars and scheduled events, reenactments and demonstrations related to local history such as the Florida Living History Festival, Militia Encampments and Cracker Christmas.
Website has virtual tour of fort and surrounding houses.
This historic village in Clermont features a train depot, an original station built in the early 1900s, Herring Hooks Schoolhouse, Quonset Hut, Townsend House, Kern House and original Cooper Memorial Library which will eventually become a museum.
The mission of the South Lake County Historical Society is to preserve, maintain, and share the history of the pioneering families of South Lake County.Covers the period from the eighteen hundreds to the end of World War II.
Preserves the documentation of the history of the Seminole Tribe. All types of materials including books,government documents,newspaper collection, photographs, oral histories, letters, maps, and memorabilia etc. dating from the early 1800's. Serves as a center of research for Seminole culture and Native American history in the Southeastern United States.
It houses exhibits highlighting the local area, including: Fossils, Cattle Industry, growing and processing both sugarcane and citrus, Commercial Fishing, Flying Brits from WWII, Killer Hurricanes and Seminole Indians. Also offers Historical Eco tours visitng Birding sites and Ah-Tha-Thi-Ki Museum and a bookstore with a large selection of materials about Florida History and Heritage.
The research library for the Florida Historical Society. It has the 60,000-item collection of the state's oldest cultural organization. Contains books on Florida, papers of prominent Floridians, historical maps, photos, artifacts and family histories. The Florida Historical Society, founded in 1856, is one of the oldest historical societies in the country with records dating back to the 1500s. Manuscripts, rare books, photographs, postcards, maps, ephemera, and a special collection of WPA records. the Florida State Genealogical Society also houses its collection here
This has the same website and contact information as the Florida Historical Society
Located at the Central Brevard Library and Reference Center. This repository sponsors several projects and collections that preserves and documents the history of Brevard County as related through early newspapers, maps, oral histories on video, aguide to Brevard County Historical Landmarks and a three volume county history ,widely considered the most thorough history of any Florida county and the Indian River Journal
Contains a nature preserve encompassing three Florida ecosystems; has both artifacts and specimens of the Indian river area of the east coast of on-going exhibitions that tell the story of Brevard County’s history and natural environment and to a hands-on classroom. Florida emphasizes the history and ecology of the area and the importance of conserving our natural resources.
A leader in science and technology, the College, founded in 1960, is home to the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory, which features one of the largest public-access telescopes in Florida, as well as large-format movies, laser light shows and other educational planetarium presentations. The Library manages an institutional archives documenting events at the College with photographs
FHS Library houses the Tebeau Collection which contains more than 6,000 volumes, an extensive map collection, manuscript and photographic holdings and a small collection of artifacts and the newly acquired Alice Strickland Collection of Floridiana. Other collections include the Pioneer Collection of the Florida State Genealogical Society and the photographic collection of the Brevard County Mosquito Beaters.Extensive archives and manuscript collections documenting all aspects of Florida life including government records and the private papers of prominent Floridians. Also documenting Brevard County regional history. The Society was founded in 1856 in St. Augustine and has a long history of documenting Florida.
This has the same website and contact infromation as the Alma Clyde Field Library of Florida History
The GLBT History Museum of Central Florida is designed to teach GLBT local heritage, provide role models for GLBT youth, build community, and highlight the extraordinary local and national contributions of the GLBT community of Central Florida, including recognizing the start of the organized gay and lesbian civil rights movement. Collects, preserves and exhibits the history of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender community in Central Florida and provides a documentary record for research, and displaying a community's social and historical contributions.
Promotes the heritage of the City through the local historic designation and design review process with educational programs and publications. Has eleven buildings which are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Collections include photographs, documents, architectural and urban planning records, books, furniture, art work and oral histories of early settlers.
The Special Collections of Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden's Montgomery Library include manuscripts, correspondence, photographs, architectural drawings and blueprints, books, maps and charts related to the history and development of Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden and the personal and public lives of Col. Robert H. Montgomery, Dr. David Fairchild, and other important figures in the fields of horticulture and botany in South Florida.
Collects, preserves, and provides access to primary and secondary sources of enduring historical, research, and artifactual value which relate to Cuba and the Cuban diaspora from colonial times to the present. Contains manuscript collections, maps, photographs, postcards, rare books, periodicals. The digital collection contains, photographs, manuscripts, letters, memorabilia and other materials from over 50 collections.
Holds extensive literary, business and organizational materials documenting the region and the state. Collections include the records of Pan American Airlines, the congressional papers of Dante Fascell, a Map Collection of approximately 5,000 maps with a focus on Florida and the Caribbean and a Science Fiction Fanzine collection. Creates and collects oral history interviews with an emphasis on the history of South Florida, Cuba, the Haitian Diaspora, the University of Miami, and Pan American World Airways, Inc.
The entire 8th floor houses both the Special Collections and University Archives departments.
The Carver-Hill School began in 1915 and was a segregated school for African-American children. Museum honors and chronicles the lives of the local African-American community, focusing on black history and culture. The Carver-Hill Museum serves as an archive for artifacts related to Carver-Hill School including photographs. In addition, the museum features important historical documents of local families and the community.
An institutional archives and special collections holding documentary, photographic, and other materials including the papers of Mary McLeod Bethune; the Attica Collection; Joseph M. Taylor, Florence Roane Collections and the African-American Collection of books by and about African-Americans. A wide variety of materials in various formats depicts the lives and works of individuals who contributed to the institution with an extensive collection of documents which reflect the business of this school in detail up to the contemporary time. Also a large digital collection of university catalogs, handbooks, yearbooks, photographs and a large collection of organized vertical files.
Thelma Harris Livingstone collection is absent at this time they are cataloging items and restructuring the archives.
The University Archives is the official repository for the historical records of all three campuses of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and all of its predecessor bodies. The holdings document the history of Embry-Riddle from its origins in 1926 to the present. These archival collections include corporate records, faculty and staff papers, alumni memorabilia, photographs, audio recordings, video media, and many artifacts including paintings, awards and aviation paraphernalia.
Housed in the former 1910 Merchants Bank building, the two-story interior walls are decorated with hand-painted murals depicting area scenes, and highlighted by Beaux Arts styling of stained glass windows and lighting. The museum's permanent exhibits presents the history of the greater Daytona Beach area known as Halifax Country with artifacts dating from 5,000 B.C.E. Includes a research facility with old city directories , books & magazines, newspaper archive,extensive photographic and postcard collections and genealogical research, local family papers and vertical files.
Museum collections and research include Cuban and Florida art, American Fine and Decorative arts, European Fine and Decorative arts, pre-Columbian and African artifacts, Pleistocene fossils, Florida history and regional natural history, Environmental Education, a Hands On Children's museum and Planeterium.
Built in 1871, DeBary Hall was the winter retreat and hunting estate of a European-born wine merchant, Frederick DeBary. Includes the 8,000-square-foot main house, stables, tenant house and other structures, plus artifacts from a kind of working farm. Has exhibits; multimedia programs; and speciality topic tours -ecological, architectural, educational; as well as traditional group guided tours focusing on the St. Johns River region, the winter house and lands, and Florida people who worked at the big estate. It is also a bird sanctuary.
The DeBary family lived there until 1941. Because the direct heirs died in the 1940s, the house passed out of the family and doesn't have the elaborate heirlooms and furnishings that some historic sites have preserved. After several owners and years of abandonment and neglect it is now a historic house museum and on the National Register of Historic Places.
DeLand Memorial Hospital was DeLand's first 'modern' hospital built to serve the growing needs of a population expanding during the land boom era of the 1920s. The museum houses eight different galleries and exhibits including displays of the WWI & WWII gallery housing artifacts and displays of historic conflicts DeLandites and Volusia residents have taken part in; a full operating room of the time period, mock pharmacy, and physicians examining room; the Bill Dreggors Ice & Electrical Museum exhibiting an array of insulators and electrical equipment from the early days of the area's ice and electric business. An adjacent building features the Elephant Fantasyland, which is a personal collection of elephant-themed collectibles, a toy collection, and the West Volusia Black Heritage Gallery.
The University Archives contains papers, books, publications, news clippings, photographs, yearbooks, the campus newspaper, and other items relating to Stetson University and its history. There is also a large University digital archives collection of publications, photographs, and memorabilia.
Stetson was the man who invented the hat and big benefactor of school. And Stetson was first called Deland Academy for Henry A. DeLand, town founder. Had Florida's first law school.
Special Collections include political papers of Joseph Maxwell “Max” Cleland, Tennessee Congressman James B. Reynolds, Representative E. Clay Shaw, the Regar Collection of James Frederick Allen 's civil war letters, Greenlaw collection of first edition children’s books. Also contains letters of DeLand settlers and the Stetson Collection of book, video/DVDs, CDs and other materials. Biographies of early presidents and faculty members; books by Stetson alumni and faculty members.
Several collections were donated by Stetson Alumni and the political papers are stored in the T. Wayne Bailey Politicos Room.
Showcases an extensive collection of period photographs, authentic artifacts and memorabilia that trace the history and development of DeLand and the surrounding area. The Robert M. Conrad Education and Research Center holds hundreds of vintage photos, maps, directories, phone books and genealogies from community histories.Old photographs, deeds, oral histories document the founding families and history of Volusia County and DeLand.
An institutional archives documenting the history of Advent Christian Village (In 1913, known as the American Advent Christian Home & Orphanage.) The collection includes photographs, documentation on the administration of the organization, historical magazines, and historical information of Camp Suwannee, a youth camp. Advent Christian Village is the first retirement community in Florida and the first to include orphaned children as residents. There is also information and photographs on the Thomas Dowling sawmill, a tourist attraction built by Mr. Dowling, and the community of Dowling Park that preceded the development of the Home & Orphanage.
They are supposed to get a new library in Dowling Park.The materials will relocate there. Jo Kennon Dowling Park Public Library.
Sponsors the ZORA! STEM, Annual Zora Neale Hurston Festival of the Arts and Humanities, Excellence Without Excuse (E-WE) Community Computer Arts Lab & Learning Center and The Zora Neale Hurston National Museum of Fine Art (The Hurston).
Mission is to enhance the resources of Eatonville, Florida, “the oldest incorporated African American municipality in the United States” and the hometown of writer, folklorist, and anthropologist Zora Neale Hurston; to educate the public about Eatonville’s historic and cultural significance; and to use the community’s heritage and cultural vibrancy for its economic development.
A permanent display space in a renovated 1936 schoolhouse for the extensive collection of historic letters, documents, photos, artifacts and other material owned by The Enterprise Preservation Society. These items relate to the history of Enterprise and surrounding communities such as Stone Island and Garfield. In addition, the Heritage Center features a 1930's-era classroom; permanent and revolvings exhibits and presentations on Enterprise history and area ecology, a gallery for works by local artists, community meeting space, archives and library space as well as office space for the Society.
Documents the Koreshan Community including partial runs of newspapers, the Cora Stephens Collection of photographs of the Community, landscapes and people, a few letters and genealogical materials. Koreshan State Historic Site Collection is a digital photo-album documenting the Koreshan State Historic Site, one of Florida's state parks and a cultural heritage site.
This is the Unofficial Site of the Koreshan State Historic Site. Its purpose is to feature information about the Koreshan Unity and its members and to disseminate that information to help perpetuate the history of the Unity.
The Eustis Historical Society is dedicated towards preserving and showcasing Eustis area history. The museum is located in the Clifford House, which was built in 1911,Exhibits in the museum mainly focus on the early history of Eustis, Florida, which was dominated by the citrus industry. In addition, visitors can view photographs of early residents of Eustis.
They have a facebook page with lots of photographs and postcards from the collection.
Concentrates on the local history of the City of Eustis, has newpapers, maps, photographs, historic postcards, city directories and Florida history databases. Also funeral programs of African American citizens of Eustis. These programs contain a variety of information, which may include portraits, genealogies and biographical sketches.
Concentrating on the history and culture of Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island and Nassau County, this repository holds photographs, letters, city directories, newspaper clippings, digital oral histories of African American residents, plus a number of business records and family papers.
The Amelia Island Museum of history is the first spoken history museum in the state and continue the story-telling tradition with a variety of tours that cater to many interests and age levels.
Documents all agencies of the The Works Progress Administration (WPA) including the Civilian Conservation Corps, Federal Writers’ Project, WPA Florida Publications and Handicraft Projects. Materials include the Stetson Kennedy Federal Writers Project papers and photographs. Works Progress Administration and New Deal literature, including children's books and handicrafts projects. Also has several Collections of Alphabet books and Related Materials, Comic books, Florida Artists’ Book Collection and Fine Press Publications and Bienes Art, Architecture and Fine Facsimiles Collection
Bonnet House Museum & Gardens stewards the legacy of the Bartlett and Birch families by preserving their historic estate and providing programming that nurtures creative expression, delights the senses, educates, and honors the natural environment. This house museum holds documentation of construction including blueprints and photographs as well as some Bonnet Family papers.
The general reference collection includes manuscripts, newspaper clippings and pamphlets on a wide range of subjects. Of particular interest are the biographical files which include obituaries and pioneer (early resident) biographical data forms. Special Collections include, among others, an oral history collection with more than 300 recorded interviews conducted since 1972; Florida East Coast Railway employee records (1918 to 1950); and the Cooper Kirk Collection, with emphasis on such topics as Major William Lauderdale and the Second Seminole War, Governor Napoleon Bonaparte Broward, the creation of Broward County, and extracts from local papers, circa 1909 to 1929
The Library of the Commission holds an extensive collection of maps, blueprints, architectural sketches and engineering drawings, oral histories, family papers, local government pubic records documenting the County and related Florida materials
ISHOF’s collection of swimming memorabilia, art, photos and films, along with archival documents and rare books in the Henning Library, provides a thorough record of four centuries of written, taped and filmed aquatic sports. It is the largest collection of aquatic books, periodicals, manuscripts and scrapbooks in existence. The R. Max Ritter Rare Book Room, with over 400 pre-1900 vintage volumes, 310 scrapbooks with the pictures and memorabilia of the past century, and 114 unique aquatic sports magazines.
An institutional archives, this repository documents all aspects of life on campus and includes materials such as photographs, oral histories, faculty papers, catalogs, Annual Reports and Newsletters, Faculty and Student Publications and digitized photographs, books, and documents (early history of NSU). Also documents the town of Davie, Florida
Robert Bogorff, Director/University Archivist
NSU Archives. Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center, 4th floor,3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale - Davie, Florida 33314 - 1013
The Archives, contains more than 5,000 items, documents a century of LGBT cultural, political and social history. Among the many treasures in the archives are an extensive pulp fiction collection; organizational records of local, national and regional LGBT organizations; a large serials collection; personal records of local and national personalities; gay erotica –pictorial works; and LGBT ephemera, film, audio and oral histories. The Circulating library holdings now number over 25,000 books and 1,000 DVDs.
Over 20 acres of botanical gardens, nine historic buildings including Edison’s Botanic Research Laboratory and the Edison Ford Museum which contains a collection of inventions, artifacts and special exhibit galleries.
The archives are open by appointment by email or telephone through the Curatorial Department.
Housed in the former Atlantic Coastline Railroad depot, the Museum is home to the history of Southwest Florida. Paleo Indians, the Calusa, the Seminoles, Spanish explorers, and early settlers. An authentic replica of a pioneer "cracker" house, a 1926 La France fire pumper, and a 1929 private Pullman rail car are also part of the tour. In addition, the museum also houses an extensive artifacts collection detailing early civilization, the Fort, the first settlers, the cattlemen, turn of the century, the military and agriculture, boating and fishing industries in Fort Myers.
Museum's research archives containing photographs, maps, and documents are available by appointment.
This library collects historic public records and manuscript materials documenting the County. Collections begin in the 1920's and include Sanborn maps of Ft. Pierce. Houses over a thousand books useful in genealogical research, including US census record books, Daughters of the American Revolution indexes, military service records, county histories and much more. The Library also offers the genealogical databases.
The collection contains items of historical significance to Indian River State College as well as copies of doctoral dissertations published by IRSC employees. Annual reports, programs for special events, accreditation reports, and brochures. Also include documentation relating to the history of the surrounding four county area.
Museum features silver and gold from a fleet of 11 Spanish ships that sank during a 1715 hurricane. That and other sunken treasure helped the area earn the reputation as Florida’s “Treasure Coast.” Also contains equipment from turn-of-the-century industries that help shape St. Lucie County, such as fishing, pineapple, cattle and citrus, as well as artifacts from the 1838 Seminole War. Housing over 20,000 artifacts and archives related to local heritage the Center also owns the Hill Family Photographic Collection consisting of over 1,200 photographs of the area's early history.
The Museum is currently run by the volunteers of the St. Lucie Historical Society.
Houses a library and has an extensive collection of family papers and organizational records documenting Gainesville social and civic goups and a large Alachua County subject file. Also holds historic photographs, postcards, scrapbooks, newspaper, illustrations, maps, historic site files, etc.
The Department is well know for its Floridiana, the papers of Florida authors and politicians. There is also a performing arts collection, mainly 60,000 items of primary source ephemera from 19th and 20th Century Europe and America, and the Samuel Proctor Oral History Program an extensive oral history collection containing 5,000 interviews and 85,000 pages of transcripts. Refer to website for details of holdings.
The Museum occupies three principal facilities on the University of Florida campus in Gainesville and the Randell Research Center in southwest Florida. It is Florida's official state natural history museum and contains archives of the Museum and field notes pertaining to the archeology, natural history and ethnology of Florida, Caribbean and Latin America.
There is a kitchen, bedroom, mercantile, pioneer crafts area, and hundreds of items ranging from prehistoric mound findings to musical instruments and Geneva citizen's military uniforms. There are also turpentine and orange grove tools; a cattle ranching display; a square grand piano; a Magic Lantern (preceded the slide projector); items from the early Russian, French, and English settlers and prehistoric and Native American artifacts found in Geneva mounds/middens. Also has Geneva history books and plenty of geneological resources susch as censuses, draft registrations,geneva cemeteries and local oral histories. There is also a display on Lewis Thornton Powell who was involved in the Lincoln conspiracy and whose skull is buried in the Geneva.
Contains displays chronicaling the historical settling and growth of the geographic area historically considered Goldenrod/Gabriella and collects and preserves artifacts, photographs,memorabilia and records of the history of our local Goldenrod/Gabriella area.
The former home of famed horticulturalist Henry Nehrling, the "patron saint of Florida gardens." who purchased the property in 1885 to establish a garden where he could experiment with tropical and subtropical plants year round. It evolved into a scientific growing and testing facility for newly discovered plant material from all over the world. It is now community resource and education center focused on historic preservation, horticultural education and environmental conservation. Specimens of the original 100-year old tree canopy and many of his plantings still exists as well as the original home – and authentic example of pioneer Florida life.
The Office of the City Clerk, Records and Archives Division is charged with preserving the photographs and documentary history of Hollywood and is also responsible for the city's records management program. Collections include Local city Government, Property and Business Records, Hollywood pioneer family papers, maps, newsletters, newspapers and magazines. Pictorial Collections contain thousands of images of photographs and postcards. This collection is a rich resource for examining Hollywood’s history, government, development, cultural and recreational activities, and tourism.
Contains the collections of the Citrus County Historical Society and the Citrus County Clerk of the Circuit. This repository holds historic public records an oral history collection, maps, an extensive photograph collection and the Citrus County Chronicles newspaper. The Archives Library is located on the first floor of the Museum, and is free to the public.
Maintain the oldest sacramental and historical records of the diocese and its parishes. The diocese maintains Episcopal archives (1857-1967) and the parish registers of the Cathedral-Basilica (1594-1881). The archive also handles requests for genealogical research and the history of Catholicism in Florida
The Cummer offers world-class art spanning from 2100 B.C. through the 21st Century, and features special exhibits from around the world. Also includes a state-of-the-art education center named Art Connections which allows thousands of area schoolchildren to have a hands-on art education experience through interactive media and art classes. The Cummer Gardens are unique examples of early 20th century English and Italian garden design and many important landscape architects played significant roles in their development.
Currently developing an archival program based on huge negative collection of photo assignments beginning in the early 1900's. The Florida Times-Union is a major daily newspaper in Jacksonville, Florida, USA. Widely known as the oldest newspaper in the state, it began publication as the Florida Union in 1864
Documenting the built environment of Duval County the Department holds site files, information on archaeological sites and cemeteries plus subject files on neighborhoods and individuals. Also contains maps
The Historic Preservation Section coordinates the city's historic preservation program. Most of the items described are probably located in one or more of the city's 12 Preservation Organizations that it oversees.
Joel McEachin, Supervisor,City Planner Manager and Senior Historic Preservation Planner
Historic Preservation Section,Planning and Development Department ,Ed Ball Building, 214 N. Hogan St., Suite 300,Jacksonville, FL 32202
The Jacksonville Historical Society's Archives are housed at Old St.Lukes Hospital, 314 Palmetto Street. This collection contains rare artifacts and documents which delineate the history of northeast Florida, Jacksonville and Duval County/ Papers of Jacksonville political figures, extensive photographs, maps, publications, scrapbooks, postcards and blueprints.
Contact ahead of visit as research materials are not stored on site.
This collection includes Floridiana and local history with an emphasis on Jacksonville and Northeastern Florida. Includes photographs and city documents as well as a collection of postcards beginning in 1901. Includes maps, photographs, postcards, periodicals, microfilm and documents. Items in the collection are dated from the 17th through 21st century.
An institutional archives documenting the University and including a special collections function that holds transcripts of the Federal Writers Project and materials relating to the composer, Frederick Deluis.
Transcripts of the Federal Writers Project and materials relating to the composer, Frederick Deluis can be accessed through the Digital collections website
Concentrates on supporting research with an effort to collect historic individual manuscripts pertinent to early Florida history. The Antiquarian Book Library provides "hands-on" reading and research experience. Has a large collection of medical and science works covering pediactrics, surgery, obstetrics ,pharmacology and medical supplies. Serves as an exhibition venue for both emerging and established regional artists, and for special community events.
Contains 10 different permanent exhibit areas covering the Natural and Human History of Jacksonville and Northeast Florida. Sponsors traveling exhibits, local artists shows, K-12 Educational programs, high-school and college internships. Also has the largest single-lens planetarium in the world. Space science education is a top priority.
Documenting Kingsley Plantation, the Timucuan Preserve and Fort Caroline. The history and culture of the Preserve stretches over 6,000 years and hosts a collection of over 242,000 Native American, European and historic American objects.
Each location has a different address, telephone number and directions. For specific directions or contact information for each site within the preserve, visit the Directions page on the Website and choose the site you are interested in contacting.
Documents the neighborhood with a newsletter and it is one of the South’s largest neighborhood preservation groups, sponsoring an Arts Market, A tour of Homes, and a Festival of Lights. Their mission is to enhance and preserve the architecture, history, cultural heritage and economic viability of the historic neighborhoods of Riverside and Avondale.
Academic library holds its institution's archives and manuscript collections specializing in Northeast Florida history and tourism with special emphasis on Jacksonville and its immediate geographical vicinity (Duval, Baker, Clay, Nassau, and St. Johns counties), poetry by twentieth century poets and printed by small literary presses. Major collections include the papers of Eartha M. M. White, a local humanitarian and philanthropist and John E. Mathews, Jr., a former state legislator.
Preserves the history and heritage of Florida's First Coast beach communities including Mayport, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach, Ponte Vedra Beach, and historic Palm Valley. Thousands of photographs, a restored FEC Section Foreman's House, the Mayport Depot, an early Pablo Beach Post Office, and a 28-ton 1911 steam locomotive.
Facilities include the restored 1860 Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and Oil House, the restored 1920 Keeper's Workshop, the restored WWII Naval Housing building (now the Museum), and the restored 1892 George Washington Tindall House. The collection contains photographs, maps, archival items and artifacts about the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and the DuBois Pioneer Home and the history of the northern section of Palm Beach County along the Loxahatchee River.
Documents the political, social, economic and cultural history of the town through private documents, business records, letters, news clippings, photographs, and other materials that complement official town records. Notable are the biographies of elected town officials (And Town issues of their times) Town records list 22 Mayors and almost 100 Commissioners/Councilors since 1925. Elected officials in the past were often early pioneers, and names include Sims, DuBois, Gladwin, Bassett, and Tomasello. The elected officials often owned or managed businesses in Town ranging from retail to agriculture.
All furnishings reflect the elegant and comfortable living enjoyed by a wealthy family in Key West during the mid-1800’s. 31 of the original hand colored Antique engravings of the 22 birds J.J. Audubon painted in the Florida Keys during his 6 week visit in 1832 can be seen throughout the House. In addition to informative reading panels, an introduction to the property and its history will be given and then explore the house and gardens. Has a collection of letters and photographs from the Geiger Family Papers. Captain Geiger, a licensed bar pilot, built the house in 1846 and the family occupied the property until 1956.
This was the first restoration project in Key West and is still considered the gem of the island's restoration movement.
This collection contains the surveys, maps, drawings and field notes of Howard England who was instrumental in excavating artifacts in the Fort as well as photographs of the Fort, city events and people.
Items are currently being stored at the the Florida Park Service Historic Collections Facility & Archives in the Department of Environmental Protection in Tallahassee and are being processed to facilitate their cataloging, conservation, and digitization. When finished and a suitable permanent facility is created at the Fort they will be returned.
Citizen Support Organization of the Florida Park Service. Works toward helping the park preserve its natural and cultural resources. conduct programs and activities, sponsor research, sponsor promotions, raise funds, request and receive grants, gifts and contributions, dues and bequests of money….and make expenditures and distributions to or for the benefit of Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park.
The papers of Mel Fisher, films, photographs and other materials documenting treasure hunting and associated archeology. The only fully accredited museum in the Florida Keys and also a nationally recognized research and archaeology institution. Collection contains approximately 100,000 artifacts. Operates a two thousand square foot conservation laboratory that specializes in conserving underwater archaeological artifacts. Among these are items relating to exploration, commerce and technology, with an emphasis on early Caribbean history, the Transatlantic Slave Trade, and the Florida Keys.
This repository holds local government records, court records, 1823-1845, several large scrapbooks containing photographs of Key West and the Keys, genealogical oral histories, land records and some local business materials. The Scott De Wolfe collection contains some of the oldest images of Key West. Many are now in an online gallery as is a Key Name Search Gazetteer which gives the origins of the names of the Florida Keys.
Permanent exhibits include general local history and the county citrus industry. The village includes a schoolhouse, blacksmith shop, citrus packing house, wash and smoke house, residence, cattleman camp, country store, and water tower. Offers field trip programs about early pioneer or cattleman life, outreach presentations for schools, a high school history club, a Scout program, continuing education programs, summer camps, and research library access.
Three different addresses because it is three different units.
An institutional archives documenting the College including plans for the buildings and photographs of when it was a forestry school and a naval airbase in World War II.
Formerly known as Lake City Community College. They use Dewey as opposed to Library of Congress classifiaction probably because all residents of Columbia, Baker, Gilchrist, Dixie, and Union counties use the library.
Houses a collection of artifacts, photographs, documents and other materials related to the history of Lake Mary and the surrounding communities. Lots of old helmets, uniforms, models, magazines, papers and other memorablia that represents the military, especially Lake Mary's contribution to the various wars. The building was built in 1926 and is on the National Registry of Historical Places. It is run by the Lake Mary Historical Society which also has their meetings at the facilty.
Maintains a number of collections documenting the history and development of the Singing Tower and Gardens, as well as the historic Pinewood Estate. The Anton Brees Carillon Library houses one of the world's largest collections of carillon related materials, including a large number of scores, personal papers of carillonneurs, and the archives of the Guild of Carillonneurs in North America. The Chao Research Center Archives houses the institutional records of the Gardens including many Bok family papers- the Bok Newspaper Scrapbook Collection, Pinewood Estate Collection and American Foundation Collection. Available by appointment only.
This collections primarily documents the city but holds materials about the county and Florida subjects including over 6000 photographs, personal papers and histories, scrapbooks and oral histories. Textile displays show visitors how the pioneers dressed and “modern conveniences” such as the ice box and the wringer washer reveal how they worked. Exhibits range from the very large - such as the switchboard from a hotel - to the much smaller - a collection of cameras and medical instruments. Display cases maintained by local Polish, Finnish and Lithuanian groups are highlights of the heritage exhibits.
Florida Presbyterian Homes is a retirement community that began in 1955. The repository documents the development of the Homes with extensive original manuscripts, clippings, photographs. Of interest to the study of the Lakeland area and the Presbyterian Church.
The history committee preserves and displays historical and biographical information about FPH and its residents. Dr. Richard Adicks, retired history professor at UCF, served on the Board of Directors.
Collections consist of records, manuscripts, printed and published material, maps, more than 10,000 photographic prints and negatives documenting Lakeland from the turn of the century to the present. Films, videotapes, audio cassettes, scrapbooks, posters, news clips, newsletters and ephemera, especially postcards and citrus labels. The unit also maintains an index to obituaries in The Ledger from 1911 to 1975 and 1999 to the present and an index to deaths in Polk County between 1975 and 1998.The manuscript materials consist of personal papers and business records of a number of prominent citizens of Lakeland and the records of such civic organizations and social clubs as the Lakeland Chapter of the DAR, the Sorosis Club, the Woman's Club, and Historic Lakeland.
From the FAQ page: Where did the swans come from? Swans were reported to be on the city's lakes as early as 1923. The current birds are descendants of a pair of mute swans imported from England from the royal flock on the Thames River that arrived in 1957 and were donated by Queen Elizabeth. The city paid for the capture and shipping to Lakeland.
Official repository for the archival materials owned by the Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church. This collection documents Methodism in Florida and contains church histories, oral histories, photographs and church records including membership lists, plates, postcards, museum objects, memorabilia, histories, biographies, hymnals, and general reference books.
The McKay Archives' collections include the institutional records of Florida Southern College created or used in the course of business since 1885; personal as well as faculty papers, photographs, audio, video and artifact materials, including the Florida Citrus Archives collected and preserved by Thomas B. Mack (1914-2004), when he was a professor at the College, since 2001 the official archives of the Florida citrus industry The collection strengths are photographs, postcards, organizational records, architectural drawings by Frank Lloyd Wright, school yearbooks and newspapers.
The College is home to the world’s largest single-site collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2012.
A Local history collection of primarily photographs of buildings and people in the area. Most have been digitized for the Pinellas Memory database which has materials from five county contributing libraries. Partners with Pinellas Genealogy Society to provide a permanent home for maps, magazines, journals, CD-ROMs, microfiche, microfilm, US Census records, numerous Pinellas County cemetery records and obituaries and over 10,000 genealogy related books.
Indoor and outdoor museum featuring exhibits about local history, live reenactments and a library collection documenting county history including 8,500 photographs, oral and video histories, maps, yearbooks, scrapbooks, city directories family papers, business records, newsclippings, slides and postcards. Has 3,500 volumes dealing with topics ranging from Pinellas County and Florida history to genealogy and historic conservation and preservation.
Has an extensive digital collection documenting the founding and natural and cultiural history of Longboat Key through publications, photographs, audio, video and texts. The Town and the Longboat Key Historical Society of have erected seven historic markers in various locations on the Key. There is also a self guided walking tour of Longbolt village and a yearly Lecture series.
The Bradlee-McIntyre House is the only surviving "cottage" in Orange and Seminole counties, a Queen Anne Style three-story, 13-room winter vacation house featuring an octagonal tower and "ginger-bread" trim typical of the flamboyant houses of the Victorian Period. It was built in 1885 by Nathaniel Bradlee, a prominent Boston architect and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Longwood Historic Society collects photographs, letters, tools and textiles that relate to the history and development of Longwood.