If your archive or repository is missing or listed incorrectly, please fill out our update form. Please contact Special Collections & University Archives at (407) 823-2576 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z
Offers extensive genealogical and historical resources pertaining to Baker County's local history, and it's residents' history. They publish cemetery, marriage and census records. The library's collection highlights the southern United States, with emphasis on Georgia and Florida.
A private genealogical library with a concentration on materials from Ohio, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. Large book collection includes newspaper clippings, directories, newsletters, census, tax, marriage and divorce records, city, county and family histories, cookbooks, immigration records and conference syllabuses.
NFCC (formerly NFJC) and Suwannee River Junior College archives consisits mainly of audio-visual and some print materials such as faulty interviews, factbooks, commencement programs, scrapbooks, news clippings, annual reports, course catalogs and some local print materials related to Madison county and city history such as newspapers, legal records articles and books.
NFCC (formerly NFJC) and Suwannee River Junior College, black community college merged in 1966. Microfilm collection was donated to the local historical society.
Houses print records of the Madison County Genealogical Society, features exhibits dedicated to sharing the history and lifestyle of Madison County, FL and its surrounding region. Has objects donated by soldiers from world war 1 and 2, Korea, and Vietnam, as well as military uniforms and other military related items. Objects from the old south, including Civil war objects, antiques, rare and antiquarian books and an expanding photographic archive.
Sponsors a walking tour of Historic homes and churches.
Has an Archive and Library with a large collection of artifacts, books, letters, cards, photographs and other memorabilia, oral interviews of survivors and liberators of the Holocaust. Sponsors permanent and traveling exhibits and films. They also have a number of exhibits available on loan to schools as well as the Teaching Trunks.
The Maitland Art Center was founded as an art colony in 1937 artist and architect, André Smith. Sponsors gallery exhibitions, art programming, and a strong curriculum of art instruction for all age groups and levels. It one of the few surviving examples of “Mayan Revival” or fantasy architecture in the Southeast. Also has founder Smith’s original book collection, containing many rare volumes and art folios.
In 2014 The Maitland Art Center beame the first National Historic Landmark in the four counties of Central Florida and one of only 44 located in Florida.
Documents the history and life of small town Florida. Includes cemetery and early City records, photographs, obituaries, voter registration information and the Waterhouse, Hill, and Dommerich family archives. The Telephone Museum collection includes telephones, equipment, and archives representing the story of the Galloway family who started telephone service in this area and the story of the rise of Winter Park Telephone Company.
The Packwood Avenue campus includes the Maitland Historical Museum, and The Telephone Museum.
Built in 1884 by pioneer settler and builder William H. Waterhouse as a home for his family the collection includes Victorian residential items, reflecting a middle class family lifestyle in nineteenth century Central Florida. The Carpentry Shop Museum includes a collection of antique woodworking tools, as well as tools owned by Mr.Waterhouse, used to build many of Maitland early homes and Waterhouse’s woodworking and construction business.
The Lake Lily campus has Waterhouse Residence Museum and Carpentry Shop Museum. Has guided tours by trained docents. The Cottage at Lake Lily and the Studios at Lake Lily are available by appointment only.
Besides its work as an institutional archives, this repository holds the papers of Edwin A. Link, an inventor and founder of the Harbour Branch Oceanography Institute and Col. John Maderis, considered the father of the modern space program.
Besides its work as an institutional archives, this repository holds the papers of Edwin A. Link, an inventor and founder of the Harbour Branch Oceanography Institute and Col. John Maderis, considered the father of the modern space program.
The premier saltwater fishing spot on Florida's east coast, this park is a favorite for anglers nationwide, Surfing is also popular and several major competitions are held here every year. The McLarty Treasure Museum features the history of the 1715 Spanish treasure fleet; the Sebastian Fishing Museum tells the history of the area's fishing industry. Camping, hiking, swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling, shelling, sunbathing, canoeing and kayaking in the Indian River Lagoon are also favorite pastimes.
Serves as an reference and educational resource for ophthalmologists and optometrists worldwide. Preserves 3,000 books dating from 1496 to 1900, including the first German textbook on ophthalmology written in 1583, a rare second edition published 100 years later, and a 1613 book on depth perception with drawings by Peter Paul Rubens, as well as books on optics by Johann Kepler (1611), Rene Descartes (1664), and Sir Isaac Newton (1704). Has a complete sets of old periodicals — German, Italian, French and English — dated in the 1800s. Also houses the collection of papers and photographs pertaining to the development of the University of Miami, School of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmolgy, the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute and the Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital beginning in 1959.
Documents the Black experience in Miami-Dade County from 1896 to the present, which, for a variety of reasons, is not widely known. From the photographs and documents of pioneer families to souvenir programs from churches and organizations, The Black Archives preserves the identity of Black South Florida. Materials include photographs, manuscripts, oral histories and records of local organizations including churches, schools, businesses and community groups.
This public records repository contains historic records of the City of Miami. Ordinances, resolutions, motions, minutes of Commission meetings, agreements, elections files, lobbyist files, boards and committee files.
Collections spans the disciplines, from the sciences to the humanities, with a concentration on Cuban, Caribbean (Spanish, British & French), Brazilian and Florida/ Miami interests. Special Collections’ Caribbean collections cover the history, literature, culture, architecture and arts of the countries of the Caribbean Basin.University Archives serves as the depository of the official records relating to the founding, development of and future plans for Florida International University. The archives documents and items of historical value from the administrative offices of the University’s president, vice-presidents, deans, faculty, student organizations and alumni.
This large regional collection's strength is extensive newspaper collections of Florida and the Caribbean; State and Local Documents; clippings and records of local associations and subjects; photographs; scrapbooks; ephemera collections; Spanish American war collection, treaties and laws dealing with the creation of Florida; Cuban collection; the complete United States Census on microfilm 1790-1930; Ann McFadden's Dade County Obituary Index; Genealogy collection; and a Florida Author collection including books, manuscripts and correspondence.
Make appointments! Staffing is a real concern,according to Mr.Shipley.
HistoryMiami Museum gathers, interprets, and presents the history of Miami and the greater South Florida region as a cultural crossroads of the Americas,specializing in the cutural development of southeastern Florida, including Greater Miami, the Florida Keys, and the Everglades. HistoryMiami is the official repository for all archaeological material recovered in Miami-Dade County. The collection includes a rare, complete double elephant folio edition of John James Audubon’s The Birds of America, as well as 6,000 bound volumes, 1,900 maps and more than one million historic photographs.
Houses over 35,000 hours of video tape and 23 million feet of film. A local television news collection dates to the late 1940s, with footage from landmark television stations. A television documentaries collection covers the topics of immigration, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Space Program, presidential elections, and many more global events and trends that have played out on the Florida stage. Finally, home movie holdings of over 3000 reels dating to the 1910s bring long-gone buildings, attractions, and folkways alive for new generations.
Archives is located at Miami Dade College on the Wolfson campus.
Collects, catalogs and maintains all policies and procedural information, as well as pictures, biographical data and all records of historical value pertaining to the establishment and continual operations of the 11th Judicial Circuit Court, the election or appointment of its Clerks, Judges, the Board of County Commission, the Clerk of the Board, other governing Boards and memorabilia as deemed necessary.
Most recorded documents from 1974 to the present are available online at County Recorder's Official Record Search with older documents available from microfilm at this location
The Vasari Project is a special collection dedicated to documenting, collecting and preserving Miami-Dade County's art history from 1945 to the present. It is a living archive that grows through contributions from artists, art professionals, exhibition spaces, galleries, institutions and private donors. The archive collects documentation rather than original works of art and is comprised primarily of printed matter: correspondence, press clippings, photographs, posters, books, exhibition catalogs, artists' files, oral histories and other ephemeral materials.
Archives maintains over 2,600 Architectural drawings, 2,400 photographs, correspondence and financial records created by James Deering and his associates during the design, planning and building of Vizcaya from 1910 to 1925. As the result of a two and a half year massive organizing and cataloging, conservation and preservation project the materials the majority of these materials have been digitized. Also has administrative records associated with past museum directors, curators and departmental staff.
Vizcaya’s main house and gardens are furnished with a collection that represents many cultures and periods of art from ancient Rome to the early twentieth-century Museum also cultivates and cares for living collections throughout the gardens and grounds. These include thousands of orchids, critically endangered native plants and several national champion trees.
Contains the case and program files of Operation Pedro Pan/Cuban Children's program-Catholic Charities, the congressional papers of William Lehman, John F. Kennedy collection which documents his presidency and assassination, as well as the Kennedy Family participation in American politics at that time. University records from 1940 and document the governance, administration and academic pursuits of the institution.
The Miami Shores Archives of Brockway Memorial Library documents the history of the Village of Miami Shores, Dade County, and Florida. The largest amount of material comes from the collection of C. Lawton McCall, longtime Village Manager and the papers of Thelma Peters, Historian. Includes artifacts, photographs, newspaper clippings, public records, books, and other historical materials.
The archival collections comprise materials relating to the Micanopy area from earliest times to the present. Included are Micanopy societies, enterprises, churches, government, products, families and events. Works of Micanopy authors, deed abstracts, maps, lists of burials, indexed newspaper clippings, genealogical charts, minutes of organizations and photographic images.
It offers information and materials concerning homesteaders and early resident history and serves as a repository and educational resource of the community's photos, period dress, oratory lessons and artifacts. It provides living history re-enactments
Located on five acres of native Florida gardens, the Naples Museum showcases two historic cottages, a working archaeology lab, a Seminole village, tropical orchid house, wildlife displays, a 1910 steam logging locomotive and a recreated Seminole War fort. The Museum’s five acre historical park at the County Government Center in Naples, and its branch sites in Everglades City, Immokalee, Marco Island, and the Naples Depot offer a full range of education, family activities and cultural programs.
This Museum is one of a few of its kind in the state of Florida. It houses a collection of photographs, documents, memorabilia, and artifacts such as pieces of African art to replicas of African-American inventions, to local items from African-American schools and the local railroad, which was critical to the early African-American community Exhibits are displayed to educate citizens and students about the history and race relations in small-town Florida over the course of the 20th century. Housed in a small one-room church building, formerly called St Rita's, one of the first Catholic Churches in the area open to African-Americans. Heritage House across the street, a model of a 1920s shotgun house which had been typically inhabited by African-Americans in the community. A variety of relics are on display including a full kitchen with an old-fashioned icebox, jars of preserved fruits, pots and pans; the bedroom even has set up an antique typewriter.
The focal point of the museum is an exhibit devoted to the founders of New Smyrna, an intrepid group of indentured Mediterranean colonists, under the leadership of Scottish physician and diplomat Dr. Andrew Turnbull. In addition to the New Smyrna Settlement Exhibit, there is an Interior Gallery which gives chronological overview of area history, starting with pre-historic Florida and continuing through eleven distinct periods. Upstairs at the museum is a special exhibit of early St John's pottery, projectile points, and other artifacts collected by the late Zelia Wilson Sweett, a noted local historian. The Sheldon Research Library contains documents, books, periodicals, maps and photographs relating to the history of New Smyrna Beach. The Library is open by appointment.
Museum is part of Southeast Volusia Historical Society, Inc.
Has a well-stocked research library that deals with the history/genealogy/archaeology of this area. Exhibits dealing with the 10,000 years of human habitation in Marion County. Additionally, has lectures dealing with some aspect of Marion County's history every other month and a self guided history walking tour.
Disolved in 2012 and assets were distributed to various local organizations including the Henry Nehrling Society and the Winter Garden Heritage Museum. From the Oct.13, 2011 meeting minutes " We are no longer wanted or needed by the city"
Built in 1888 the house is open for tours and can be rented for rehearsal dinners, weddings, receptions, bridal/baby showers, corporate functions and anniversaries. Is on the National Registry of Historic Places. The house is of a Gothic Stick Style with Heart-pine floors throughout the interior of the home which is encompassed with a wrap-around porch. The house has served as a museum of the families that built and occupied it, as well as of other pioneer families in the area and the city's history.
The Friends of Ocoee History Preservation, formed and is active with the house.
Back in 1876, the first Post Office for the area, later to be known as Orange City, was housed in the very same building as the museum now resides, 129 years later! Established for the preservation and appreciation of postal history and postal artifacts and dedicated to preserving the history of postal items, postal history, and postal service. Through the efforts of the United States Postal Service and private individuals, there now exist numerous items on display that represent all phases of the U.S Postal Service from inception to the present time.
A volunteer advisory board oversees the historic area created in 1997 which encompasses the original one square mile boundary of the City of Orange City, as established in 1882. The Orange City Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. The district contains a variety of architectural styles, including Bungalow, Frame Vernacular, Classical Revival, and Colonial Revival. The Board recommends to the City Council historic property and landmark designations, as well as programs to stimulate public interest in historic preservation. The Board also advises property owners and local agencies concernin g the proper protection, maintenance, enhancement, and preservation of cultural resources. Preserves and protects significant historical records, documents, and artifacts relating to the history of Orange City.
Besides documenting all aspects of a 48 year-old worldwide missions organization, this institutional archives will also include the papers of Dr. Bill Bright, founder of CCCI, and Mrs. Vonette Bright, co-founder of CCCI and founder of the National Prayer Committee.
The National Vietnam War Museum includes the first monument in the state of Florida dedicated to fallen Vietnam War Veterans, with 167 names of men and women from Orange County, Florida. Other static displays consist of a U. S. Navy Patrol Boat River (PBR), also known as “River Rat”, a Douglas A-4B Sky Hawk aircraft, and a Bell UH-1 (Huey) Dustoff helicopter. The existing museum center includes numerous artifacts from the Vietnam era, a room-size, to scale, firebase re-creation that took approximately eleven years to complete, and a recently remodeled educational media/research room with enhanced audiovisual capabilities.
Unlike most other museums, this is a hands-on establishment, where visitors can touch the exhibit pieces and get into the vehicles.
The Leu House Museum is a restored 19th century home listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Each of the 29 different gardens is designed specifically to further the mission: inspire visitors to appreciate and understand various types of plants both edible and ornamental.Included are Florida friendly roses and one of the largest documented collections of camellias in the Southeast.The Garden House Welcome Center is the permanent home to a variety of art and rotating exhibits. The reference library has more than 2,000 volumes of gardening and botany books. Offers classes, tours and a weekly plant clinic.
Mulford B. Foster has 8 paintings here donated by his estate to the city of Orlando.
Documents nearly 200 years of Central Florida history. Features a photo archives, of more than 16,000 photographs and postcards, a research library, and a collection of archival material such as clipping files on thousands of subjects including local individuals and families, businesses, and significant events, Personal papers of notable individuals including civic and government leaders, Local history reference books; city directories; architectural and real estate resources; and genealogy resources and Central Florida maps from the 1840s to the present.
30 historical, environmental, and archaeological acres at this irreplaceable outdoor complex museum with many layers and facets. Museums's mission is to connect people of today with 5,000 years of human history in southwest coastal Florida by preserving and interpreting objects and traditions significant to our region's past. Includes an archeological exhibit of a prehistoric shell mound known as a midden, a turn-of-the-century pioneer homestead historic house museum, a citrus packing house, a chapel, boatyard, gardens and nature trails. Materials beginning in 1867 document this site and there are also field notes of archeological finds and modern records documenting former owner Bertha Potter Palmer.
The T.W. Lawton House was built in 1890 in Oviedo and became the official home of the Oviedo Historical Society in 2010. The Cracker-style architecture is typical for the grove houses of its time. Museum contains newspaper articles, photographs, tools, textiles, furniture, early household appliances and farm equipment used for citrus and celery crops.
Genealogy Room with many reference books, cemetery information, historical & genealogical series publications, and historical family information. We have cabinets with files for sites & places, transportation & accommodations, biographical, historical district areas, business & industry, organizations and education. There is microfilm with spotty coverage of Putnam County newspapers from 1875 to 1888 and then from 1902 to 2007. Copies of the Palatka Daily News, June 2008 to almost present time can be found on the Archives section of http://www.putnam-fl.com/bocc/index.php/county-departments/departments-j-z/library/archives.
Operates the Bronson-Mulholland House and the Putnam Historic Museum. Contains census records from 1850-1885, 1910-1920 and marriage records from 1849-1887, a large city Sanborn fire insurance map collection starting in 1885 through the 1950's, telephone directories, postcards, photographs, highschool yearbooks and several books about the local and family histories and development of the city.
Architectural drawings of Marion Sims Wyeth (1889-1982), Belford W. Shoumate (1903-1991), and Henry K. Harding (1904-1984), architects who were instrumental in developing the town of Palm Beach; photographs and maps of the built environment; and site files on historic houses. Library houses a non-circulating reference collection of books, periodicals, and miscellaneous subject files, such as the House Files, that pertain to architecture in general, Florida architecture, historic preservation, horticulture and gardening, ethnobotony, landscape architecture, urban planning, and Palm Beach/Florida History.
Has the archaeological site of a water powered sawmill, a fully restored 1890s pioneer homestead, a turn of the last century Dry Goods Store, five restored buildings from a 1930s Depression-Era citrus business, and a 5,000 square foot dairy barn formerly belonging to Governor of Florida, Millard Caldwell. In addition to preserving Florida's agricultural past, the museum is also active in the conservation of heritage livestock including rare Florida Cracker Cattle and Horses and the Florida piney woods rooter hog.
1) to identify, preserve, and document Bay County history; 2) to assist in the preservation of historic sites within the county; and 3) to collect, identify, and preserve documents, pictures and artifacts of historical value
Founded in 1927, NEDU develops timely, cost-effective solutions to support and improve manned operations in undersea and other extreme environments through biomedical research and independent testing and evaluation. The Unit must approve all life support equipment used under water. Materials document the history of diving and the invention and testing of equipment and is the primary source of diving and hyperbaric operational guidance for the US Navy. The Navy Experimental Diving Unit houses one of the world's largest technical libraries of diving information.
Stores Case records for the Clerk of the Circuit Court, the Board of County Commissioners and the State Attorney’s office and historical documents for Escambia County. Marriage Books, Old Wills and Will Books, Spanish Census of Pensacola, Slave Records and Military Discharge Books.
120 E Blount Street, Pensacola, FL
This repository documents all aspects of Naval Aviation, but the primary focus is on the development of U.S. Naval Aviation from 1911–present, though there are manuscript collections that cover non-aviation related naval activities. Including impact on Pensacola of the Naval Air Station, correspondence of Admirals, the official records of the Blue Angels, manuscripts of WWI, WWII and Vietnam soldiers and over 400,000 photographs.
Has a collection of books on Florida History and some College periodicals such as catalogs, newspapers, fact books, planning documents, handbooks, self studies. College Archives is located on the first floor of the main Pensacola campus library, in the Zaragoza-Goode Room.
Documents the history and development of Pensacola and the West Florida region (ten counties of the Florida Panhandle, between the Perdido and Apalachicola Rivers) from earliest settlement to the present time. It is the largest West Florida research collection in existence and a major repository dealing with Florida and the Gulf Coast region. The Department is also an institutional archives for the University.
The Historic Pensacola properties consists of 28 locations on the National Register. Includes the T.T. Wentworth, Jr. Florida State Museum, has artifacts, Americana, and West Florida history, in permanent and traveling exhibits. The Pensacola Children’s Museum features hands-on learning. The Arcadia Mill Archaeological Site, in Milton, Florida, is an antebellum industrial site offering a historical experience as well as the opportunity to visit a unique wetland ecosystem. The Norman Simons Building has the Pensacola Historical Society Resource Center.
The non-circulating geneology library houses a collection of local history and genealogical resources including holdings owned by the West Florida Genealogical Society. Sponsors the Explore Pensacola History, a series of presentations assembled and scheduled by the West Florida Public Library System, which brings together expert historians, archeologists, students, teachers, aficionados and other community members in the exploration, interpretation and preservation of local and regional history.
The museum archives are comprised mainly of duplicate materials from the National Archives concerning the Ponce de Leon Inlet Light Station. This repository also holds historic photographs and other materials concerning the local area. Documents include journals, letters, government correspondence, construction plans, blueprints, photographs, and clippings. Run by Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse Preservation Assoc.
The mission of the trust is to preserve and protect the historical, cultural and natural resources of the Port Orange area and to promote the development and use of these resources for the benefit and improvement of the community. To this end, the trust will support, when practical, the aims of other organizations that support this objective. Mark Pierson is current President and Trustee.
The Orange City Woman's Club VIA was organized in May of 1894 with 12 members. The "Village Improvement Association" was formed to "improve" the community and is one of the five founding clubs of the Florida Federation of Women's Clubs in 1895. A 121 year old organization whose purpose is to operate exclusively to unite women and to promote their common interest in charitable and educational community improvement projects and programs. As part of its community service mission, the Club maintains and collects historical records for Orange City and the community.
This privately held management consulting firm directs the Dublin Literary Award, a financial award of $150,000 for works of fiction in English. Librarians make nominations for the Award. Files include information about the Award.
The collection contains artifacts, photographs and documents relating to the development of Old Tampa Bay and Safety Harbor from Native Americans who settled Pinellas County to toys from the 50s-80s and much more in between. Also offers a variety of workshops on writing, arts and crafts.
A repository for the most significant records of the diocese and maintains the oldest sacramental and historical records of the diocese and its parishes. The diocese maintains Episcopal archives (1857-1967) and the parish registers of the Cathedral-Basilica (1594-1881). The archive also handles requests for genealogical research and the history of Catholicism in Florida. Has Sacramental records of the colonial period and 19th century, papers and records of the bishops of the diocese
and Microfilm copies of selected colonial records of Florida pertaining to the Catholic Church.
Located on the property of the Sisters of St. Joseph Convent. The Father Miguel O’Reilly House Museum is next door and is also run by the Sisters.
Materials relating to the construction, architecture and operation of the Castillo and Fort Matanzas found in Spanish and British archives. Documents early colonial and territorial history of Florida including military life, Battles & Sieges, Arms & Armaments, the history and cultural influences of Native Americans, Spanish, English, Colonial African Americans, Minorcans and United States.
The First Thanksgiving at St. Augustine was celebrated by on September 8, 1565, by Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, 800 Spanish settlers and the native Seloy tribe 56 years before the Puritan-Pilgrim thanksgiving at Plymouth Plantation (Massachusetts).
The Colonial Quarter( formerly Spanish Quater) is where visitors can experience three centuries of Colonial Spanish and British living history in St. Augustine from the 16th through the 18th during the formation and creation of the nation's oldest city. Travelers can enjoy a Historic Adventure Tour with a resident of Colonial Quarter St. Augustine as they are taken on an interactive, immersive journey through history. Includes leatherwork, print and blacksmith shops, an 18th century soldiers home and a taberna.
Houses the former Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board Library materials documenting all aspects of St. Augustine life and related to the properties in the historic district. The collection was created by the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board, or HSAPB (1959-1997) to help inform the restoration, reconstruction, management and interpretation efforts along St. George Street and in other parts of the colonial city. Includes 25,000 photographs, maps, overlays of the city, architectural drawings, sketches, field reports, government records, transcriptions of key Spanish documents, and archaeology site summaries are now digitized by University of Florida Smathers libraries at http://ufdc.ufl.edu/hsa1.
From 1963 to 2011, the Spanish Quarter of St. Augustine, Florida stood as a living history museum devoted to the demonstration of historic lifeways of the 1740s. Blacksmithing, gardening, carpentry, weaving, printing, and other skills were researched and practiced by museum staff, precipitating the compilation of relevant documentation. The Spanish Quarter archives is an online archive which represents an effort to preserve the research and correspondence conducted by those involved with the Spanish Quarter and documenting the research, restoration and reconstruction of the Village. They are located within the Colonial Quarter's De Mesa-Sanchez house on the second floor.
This a collaborative project of Flagler College and the University of Florida, supported by the St. Augustine Foundation, Inc. The Institute maintains links with the many other agencies and organizations in St. Augustine that are committed to the town’s history and historic preservation, and offers centralized information and resources for researchers, students and interested members of the public not based in St. Augustine. Has subject lists of Bibliographies and Master Theses and Doctoral Dissertations most of which can be found in public and academic libraries.
Documenting all aspects of St. Johns County and early Florida history, this repository holds over 50 manuscript collections, numerous scrapbooks, photographs, historic public records including those of the County Circuit Court beginning in 1812 and extensive church records. Also includes over 1,000 maps and blueprints of St. Augustine and St. Johns County.
Collections focus on local maritime history. Major components are Living & Working at the Light Station - U.S. Lighthouse Service, U.S. Coast Guard WWII Ponce Training Station and regional underwater archaeology. Collections consist of documents, photographs, artifacts, oral histories, exhibits and related research.
Official repository for non-current Saint Leo College/University records having a permanent historical, legal, fiscal, evidential or administrative value. Has digitized yearbooks, academic catalogs and student newspapers.
This repository documents the business of racing in Florida and the South and includes racing books from 1925, records of past performance of greyhounds and photographs. It is the oldest continuously operating greyhound track in the world and still owned by the same family who started it.
Dedicated to preserving Florida’s aviation heritage and to promoting Florida aviation, aerospace, and airports. Since 1977, FAHS members have built and flown reproductions of some historic aircraft including the reproduction of the world’s first airliner, the 1914 Benoist Airboat.
Dedicated to preserving Florida’s aviation heritage and to promoting Florida aviation, aerospace, and airports. Documents the history of airports and aviation in Florida. Since 1977, FAHS members have built and flown reproductions of some historic aircraft including the reproduction of the world’s first airliner, the 1914 Benoist Airboat. That first New Year’s Day flight heralded what we have since come to know as “The Birth of The Global Airline Industry.”
This museum, organized in 1991, collects materials documenting all aspects of the holocaust through art, photographs, vital records, personal papers, video-taped interviews, etc. Has a library of nearly 6,000 books. The Museum’s collecting activity extends backward to the end of the World War I and forward to the close of the Jewish displaced persons (DP) camps in the mid-1950s.
Pinellas County’s oldest museum was founded in 1921. The Museum library includes city directories, news clippings with subject lists, over 8000 Digitized Photos, Sanborne Maps, original and copies of maps as old as 1600, real estate Platt books, personal papers, business records, military and tourist ephemera, oral histories, etc., documenting St. Petersburg and the Pinellas peninsula.
Institutional archives plus special collections including local and regional history, marine science, natural history, journalism and media studies collections such as the papers of Nelson Poynter, founder of the St. Petersburg Times, the William Hamilton Underground Newspaper collection and The 'Muggs and Skeeter' Cartoon Collection of Wally Bishop. Also created the USFSP Digital Archive as a repository of significant print and “born digital” materials.
St. Petersburg College, formerly St Petersburg Junior College, is the oldest community college in Florida and the library holds documentation from the beginning of the college circa 1930. The library houses special collections featuring the Gibbs Junior College Collection, the M. Carolyn Parker Microform Collection from Wendell Ware, the William C. Cramer Collection, a Russian language collection and the St. Petersburg College Archives.
Holds extensive collections documenting the Gulf Coast Barrier Islands from the Southern pass of Pass-A-Grille through North Redington Beach. Post cards from years past, hundreds of photos showing the growth progression of the beach communities, memorabilia of two island schools, church artifacts and over 35 albums of different pioneer families, clubs and island events over the past 100 years.
The Museum highlights Seminole County, the historical gateway to interior Central Florida via the St. John’s River. All artifacts housed in the Museum have been donated by residents. Exhibits, artifacts, maps, documents, photographs and special events all tell the stories of Seminole County’s inhabitants, their lives, lineages and local legends.
Sanford Museum collects and preserves historical material relating to the development of Sanford from it's earliest times to the present day. The museums collections include a local history archive, a Sanford photograph collection, a reference library covering the history of Central Florida, the Henry Shelton Sanford Papers with exhibits illustrating the history of the City of Sanford and the life and times of City founder Henry S. Sanford, a 19th century decorative arts collection, local business ephemera and a local sports collection. The Society supports the efforts of the Sanford Museum to accomplish its goals.
The mission of the Student Museum is to involve students in hands-on activities designed to interpret the past and to apply that knowledge to the present Operated through a partnership between the Seminole County Public Schools and The University of Central Florida, is located in the historic school building built in 1902. Exhibits include geography, Native Americans, pioneer life, early education, the local African American neighborhood of Georgetown, antique household items, dolls and local history. The museum is focused on programs for local school groups, but is open to the public on specific afternoons each week. Museum is currently closed at this time until a decision can be made as to its future.
A lot of their paper based collections are now with Special Collections.
Founded with a mission to preserve and share Sanibel history. The story of Sanibel is told from the Calusa and Spanish eras to the early pioneer families who settled on the island in the 1800s. It tells of warriors, adventures, fishermen, farmers and proprietors. Seven historic buildings were moved from their original island sites to the Historical Village. Each building has been restored to its original state.
Collection contains written and oral histories pertaining to Sanibel Island and the Lee County islands. Also holds personal papers and the published and unpublished works by Sanibel residents and a two-story lobby fossil shell collection from Florida and the Caribbean, as well as a lakeview reading porch with rocking chairs. Sanibel Public Library concentrates on collecting information pertaining to Sanibel residents, prominent individuals, issues of community interest and records of community and civic organizations.
Large collection of online databases, a plus for a small public library and a big time saver for researchers.
Located in the Circus Museum, Tibbals Learning Center. Holds institutional records, the existing papers of John Ringling and documents all aspects of American circus history. Collections document all aspects of The Ringling, collecting records of circus performers and workers, small family circuses, and all types of circus memorabilia. It preserves the legacy of John and Mable Ringling. It is home to a Museum of Art, the historic Ca' d'Zan Mansion, Bayfront Gardens, an Art Library, the Circus Museums and the Historic Asolo Theater.
This library specializes in operatic and vocal repertory: scores, recordings (audio and video), sheet music, as well as reference books and periodicals. The library also holds the papers of Helen Jepson Dellera, American soprano who starred at the Metropolitan Opera House (1935-1944). The collection includes photographs and recordings of her work. Also an institutional archive.
The Arthur Vining Davis Library and Archives has been providing resources, reference, and research for more than thirty-five years at Mote Marine Laboratory. Its collections are maintained for the support of marine and environmental research and education. In addition to print and archival collections, the Library maintains two searchable online, open-access institutional repositories (DSpace and Omeka) of Mote staff publications, institutional papers, and items from historical collections. New resources are continually added. Library internships are available throughout the year.
Documenting all aspects of Sarasota County history including county public records, local newspapers and photographs. Personal papers, publications written by local authors and organizational and business records complementing county history, books on archaeology, architectural history, archives management, and historic preservation.
Historical Exhibits & Education Center Has a variety of permanent and rotating exhibits, photographs and artifacts detailing the history and pre-history of Sarasota on display. Located in the historic Chidsey Library Building built in 1941 and at one time was the only city library it has a small Florida Studies materials collection.
Rex Beach book collection. Photographs, maps, editions of early newspapers and assorted memorabilia, historical writings and various other documents, telephone directories, oral histories, city directories, post office and tax records. The Society maintains files on local organizations and individuals important to the city of Sebring.
Exhibits include the Auto Gallery and Garage, Baseball cards, Treasure Coast and Maritime History. The Studio offers Art Classes, Workshops, Summer Art Camps, and the Thurlow research library and archives contain more than 30,000 items which include rare books, newspaper clippings, maps, photographs, and historic documents range from the early 1900s to the present and tell the history of Martin County and its surrounding areas.
Housed in the former 1901 George W. Parks General Merchandise Store, the Museum is home to the history of the people, places and events in Stuart and Martin County. Of particular note are the sixty-seven original glass negatives of scenes of Stuart and neighboring areas taken approximately between 1901 and 1910. Sponsors weekly historical vignettes in the local paper and guest speakers on local history.
The Claude Pepper Library and Museum contains the papers of Senator Claude Pepper, U.S. Senator (1937-1950) and Member of Congress (1962-1989). Collection contains over one million primary source government documents which pertaining to Pepper's political career and personal life. The Collection also includes audio-visual, artifacts, and photographs. The Collection is an excellent resource of information on a variety of topics as it pertains to the 20th century.
The majority of the center’s archival holdings consist of records relating to the history of Africans and African Americans, especially their institutions and organizations. Manuscripts, rare books, journals, magazines, maps, newspapers, and photographs. Individuals from an array of professions, as well as, businesses, social, civic and religious groups donated the majority of museum and archival material.
Comprehensive collection of Florida ephemera, campaign literature, church histories, trading company records and other original documents about Florida from the 18th century. An extensive map collection begins in the early 1500's.
Central repository for historically significant records of the state, as well as private manuscripts, local government records, photographs and other materials that complement the official state records. Collections document all aspects of life in Florida and include approximately 50,000 cubic feet of paper records, microfilmed records from Florida counties, and over a million historical photographs of Florida dating back to the beginning of photography. Home to Florida Memory digital collection of over 500,000 items from the collections of the State Archives and the State Library, including over 204,000 photographs.
Collects, preserves, and makes availablefor research collections of materials of members of the Florida Legislature, including papers, photographs, oral histories, interviews, and related archival materials. The FLRC&M accepts donations of historically significant collections that document the role of the legislative branch of government and its relation to the people of Florida.
Previously called Florida Legislative Research Center & Museum. Legislative Research Center is on the Ground floor of the building.
Documents the social history and human experience of World War II participants, in the military and on the Home Front. Personal letters, diaries, documents, memoirs, oral histories, photographs, ephemera, and other materials. Of particular note, is the Tom Brokaw Collection, of war-related materials sent to the author of The Greatest Generation books.
Primary areas of collection strengths include rare books, the John McKay Shaw Childhood in Poetry Collection, Napoleon and the French Revolution, Florida political collections, Southern business history, literary manuscripts, local and regional history, and the Archives and Photo Archives documenting the history of Florida State University.
Holds the private papers of former justices, oral histories and photographs documenting the court and the records of the Supreme Court Historical Society. Includes an extensive selection of primary Florida legal materials, going back to before statehood. The collection also includes primary and secondary federal materials, and secondary materials dealing with the law in all 50 states and also has an extensive collection of historical law of the United Kingdom.
Holds field notes, documentation and records of archeological investigations and objects from 60 parks in the Southeast Regional Office. Also research materials such as drawings, photographs and ongoing digital media public outreach and information display. Provides interagency support to help carry out the Secretary of the Interior’s responsibilities to other agencies for cultural resources compliance, archeological site stabilization, resource planning, and public education and outreach.
Located in the Mellon building are the Institutional records from 1958 to the present. Private papers including diaries of Henry Ludlow Beadel and his wife Genevieve Dillon Beadel, their extensive film collection; correspondence, field notes and photographs of Herbert L. Stoddard, Edward V. Komarek, Roy Komarek and Henry Stevenson for The Birdlife of Florida.
Restricted access. Primarily for the use of its staff. External use is limited and requests should be submitted in writing and will be reviewed by the archivist and the executive director.
A 52-acre outdoor Museum located on Lake Bradford. It contains an 1880s farmstead, historical buildings, live collection of native wildlife and plant life and scenic grounds. Focuses on North Florida with its displays of vernacular architecture and live animals historically native to the region.
Administrative records and reports from various City departments, archeological artifacts, City Celebration and Activities records, and Sister City memorabilia. General Holdings of the City of Tampa Archives Records from the Mayor's office (Mayor's Papers)City Council Member files City Clerk's Records The Mayors of Tampa 1856 - 2013 and serves as a research center for the history and development of the City of Tampa municipal government.
Documenting the development and operation of the Lutheran Church in Florida. Correspondence, histories, reports, etc. of all Lutheran Church congregations since 1929. Materials have been relocted to the James R. Crumley, Jr., Archives at the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary in Columbia, South Carolina.
The majority of the the materials have been moved to South Carolina facility.
Interprets the turn-of-the-century Tampa Bay Hotel and the Victorian lifestyles of America’s Gilded Age for people of all ages, backgrounds, and levels of interest. Critical to the success of this mission is the restoration and preservation of this opulent 1891 railroad resort and the artifacts significant to its history and the life and work of Henry Bradley Plant. The Museum transports visitors through educational exhibits and events to the late Victorian period, the beginning of Florida’s tourist industry, and the early years of the City of Tampa.
Shares Space with the University of Tampa in what was the Tampa Bay Hotel. It was considered the premier hotel of the eight that Mr. Plant built to anchor his rail line in 1888. He wanted that empire to have a palace and that palace was the Tampa Bay Hotel – now referred to as Florida’s “first Magic Kingdom.”
Documents the College beginning in 1968 through cataloged college publications such as factbooks, institutional effectiveness plans, annual reports Task Force Findings etc.
Much of the print information related to the history of the school is at the State Library of Florida or University of South Florida Special Collections. No manuscript collections or historical information at any of the five library branches outside of university publications In the library.
The USF Tampa Library Special Collections Department, established in 1962, collects, preserves, and provides access to significant collections of Floridiana, archival and manuscript materials, 19th-century American imprints, children's and adult literature, rare books, science fiction, sheet music, and documents and archives the administrative and intellectual history of the University of South Florida for use by students, faculty, and the general public.
Holds UT archival documents (administrative, departmental, committee, institutional publications, et al.) as well as artifacts and information that reflect UT’s, Tampa’s, and west-central Florida’s history Collections including the papers of Stanley Kimmel, friend of Hemingway and noted Abraham Lincoln assassination and Booth family expert and the papers of Blanche Yurka, opera star, Broadway and Hollywood actress.
Historic official town and county records. Ordinances, resolutions, motions, agenda and minutes of Commission and Board meetings, agreements, elections files, lobbyist files, boards and committee files.
Collections of local family documents, photographs, school memorabilia, post cards, letters, newspapers, maps, records from Tarpon Springs area businesses, and other types of documents and records. Located in the Historic Train Depot Museum, the front rooms of the building have been restored to "be as they were" when it was a working railroad station.
Contains James R. Cope’s library of primarily religious material. He was the President of Florida College from 1949-1982, also the Earl Robertson collection, and a collection of New Testament artifacts on loan from the Phil Roberts family. Also holds the papers of Presidents and photographs of activities and individuals on campus and yearbooks.
The Historical Society of North Brevard runs the museum. Artifacts back to Col. Titus & early Titusville, including a newspaper archive. Historical clothing and textiles. Domestic, work and business tools. Citrus & space artifacts Cemetery information books on local and state history. City Directories, Middle and High School Yearbooks. Historical photographs, panoramas of photos, maps postcards and memorabilia
The Historical Society of North Brevard runs the museum.
Documenting the history and culture of Okaloosa and Walton counties, the Museum holds letters, books, photographs, periodicals, maps, business records and other materials relating to early Scottish settlers, the L and N Railroad, oral histories of pioneer families, historic country public records documenting marriages and businesses.
Collects and preserves historical and archeological material relating to Venice and the communities of Nokomis, Laurel and Osprey, whose histories have all been interwoven from 1867 to the present time. Includes manuscripts of residents and organizations, oral histories, city records and photographs. Permanent displays iinclude exhibits regarding the life of Dr. Fred Albee and local fossils collected by Roy and Helen Burgess. Has as Online Collections Database.
This historic public records repository holds early County records including registers of marriages, Soldier and Sailor's Discharge Books, Deeds, Leases, Bills of sale, and Mortgages beginning in 1925.
Documenting family history in many states including important manuscript collections on microfilm. Rare collection on Vero Beach Naval Air Station during WWII, extensive vertical files on local history, pioneer families, etc. Maps, periodicals, military and cenus records. For a full listing of manuscript materials see website.
Home of the The Indian River Genealogical Society, Inc.
This repository contains scrapbooks, photographs, correspondence/other documents,objects and possibly selected oral histories documenting the site as a hotel. Edward Ball purchased Wakulla Springs in 1934 and developed it as an attraction that focused on the preservation of wildlife and the surrounding habitat. The Wakulla Springs Lodge, completed in 1937, is an excellent example of Mediterranean Revival architecture. Though some of the collections are on display at the park itself, mainly period furniture and decorative artifacts, at this time most are in storage at the Florida State Parks Collections Facility & Archives, in Tallahassee.
A well organized archives containing letters, deeds, maps, historic county records, photographs of events in Palm Beach County including materials by Addison Mizner, architect and developer. Also documents south Florida and Florida history. With over one million photographs, hundreds of postcards, architectural drawings, manuscripts, diaries, and maps available for study, the Historical Society is a valuable source of primary and secondary sources for anyone interested in Palm Beach County’s history.
Documents the cultural and intellectual history of the PBAU and maintains a collection of alumni and faculty papers, university publications, photographs, and memorabilia. Kenneth Faye Dance Photography Collection of 488 photographs and the original artwork of Florida artist James Mallory Willson III, as well as the being a repository of the papers of U.S. Senator George LeMieux.
In 1979 the Audubon Society of the Everglades (ASE) donated funds to establish an ongoing comprehensive ornithological collection. Included are books on bird-watching, field guides to the birds from all regions of the globe, with special focus on North and South American regions. Also features books about individual species of birds and about the science of ornithology. Several important multi-volume, birds-of-the-world encyclopedias are included. There is also a collection of books and professional journals about library science and information studies and an extensive business resource center.
Mainly research materials used by Carl D. Patterson, former mayor and historian to compile his book Windermere among the Lakes: the story of a small town. There are binders covering 45 years of annual town events and history. Hand written original meeting minutes from the Town Council, Chamber of Commerce and various civic and religious organizations from 1925-1966. Financial records such as budget and real estate appraisals. Voter's registration roles, books, correspondence, newspaper articles, photographs, CD'S, audio cassettes, resident biographies, maps, National Register Nominations and annual reports. Collection spans 1904-2006.
Orlando Regional History Center also has information on the town. One of their staff created the finding aid and ORHC is also going to scan all the research materials used in creating the book. Windermere may also donate these items to ORHC if a suitable place can't be found in Windermere.
Located in the Tavares and Gulf Railroad depot built in 1913, the museum holds a large collection of dining car china and silverware, a 1938 Fairmont motor car, a velocipede hand car and the former Clinchfield Railroad caboose, #1073 and extensive private collections of local, state and national memorabilia and photographs of Central Florida’s railway history. Child-friendly and a must-see for all real train-buffs.
Winter Garden Heritage Foundation operates this and the Winter Garden Heritage Museum.
Housed in the 1918 Atlantic Coast Line Depot, the museum features a large collection of local citrus labels, a citrus packing house replica and an audio kiosk detailing the area’s citrus history, as well as Native American artifacts, and photographs and memorabilia of the area dating from the days of pioneer settlement to the present. In addition, an exhibit on Lake Apopka details the history and on-going restoration of the former “large-mouth bass capital.” Just outside the museum stands a 1943 Cheshire caboose and a 1950s fire truck, as well as old tractors and equipment used in the local citrus industry.
Winter Garden Heritage Foundation operates this and the Central Florida railroad museum.
Dedicated to preserving the works of Czech sculptor Albin Polasek, celebrating representational art and exhibiting regional and international artists. With over 200 works by Polasek, the museum is his retirement home. A 2004 Florida Artists Hall of Fame inductee Albin Polasek, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of only 30 members of the National Trust’s Historic Artists’ Homes and Studios.
Contains the world’s most comprehensive collection of works by Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848–1933), including the artist and designer’s jewelry, pottery, paintings, art glass, leaded-glass lamps and windows; his chapel interior from the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago; and art and architectural objects from his Long Island country estate, Laurelton Hall. The Museum’s holdings also include American art pottery, late 19th- and early 20th-century American painting, graphics, decorative art.
Includes Floridiana, the papers of Hamilton Holt, horticulturalists Henry Nehrling and Theodore L. Mead, Rex Beach, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings Collection, and the Jessie B. Rittenhouse Collection of Poetry. Its extensive College archives holds the papers, photographs and memorabilia of former faculty, students, administrators and staff, among them "Mister Rogers" who graduated in 1951 with a degree in music. Also documents the history of Winter Park.
Collects, preserves, promotes and researches the history of Winter Park and its surrounding area through educational programs,exhibits, lecture series and walking tours and the operation of a museum. Collections include the Langford Hotel Scrapbook Collection,Winter Park Vintage Postcard Collection and 150 oral histories from a variety of people who lived and worked in the community such as Hugh F. McKean,James Gamble Rogers and Robert Langford.
Maintains city government records, newspaper clipping files, postcards and photographs, biographies and an institutional archives. Significant collections include Paula Hawkins Collection, Langford Hotel collection and Jernigan Family Collection, Albin Polasek Museum Archives, the Philip Crosby Collection, the Hiram Powers Family Collection, and the Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival Poster Collection.