Begun during the 75th anniversary of the City, this collection contains over 800 photographs of city people, places and events. Including photographs pertaining to Altamonte Springs City History: the Altamonte Hotel, the Altamonte Chapel, Altamonte Mall, noteworthy historical people, etc. They also have the archival records and collections of the Altamonte Springs Historical Society which is no longer active. Old photographs, files on historic buildings, and a few objects of significance.
Archival records and collections are currently held at the Altamonte Springs City Library, consisting mainly of old photographs, files on historic buildings, and a few artifacts of significance. Persons interested in viewing the collection should contact the Altamonte Springs library at 407-571-8830.
Society is no longer active at this time. See Altamonte library above.
There is a kitchen, bedroom, mercantile, pioneer crafts area, and hundreds of items ranging from prehistoric mound findings to musical instruments and Geneva citizen's military uniforms. There are also turpentine and orange grove tools; a cattle ranching display; a square grand piano; a Magic Lantern (preceded the slide projector); items from the early Russian, French, and English settlers and prehistoric and Native American artifacts found in Geneva mounds/middens. Also has Geneva history books and plenty of geneological resources susch as censuses, draft registrations,geneva cemeteries and local oral histories. There is also a display on Lewis Thornton Powell who was involved in the Lincoln conspiracy and whose skull is buried in the Geneva.
Contains displays chronicaling the historical settling and growth of the geographic area historically considered Goldenrod/Gabriella and collects and preserves artifacts, photographs,memorabilia and records of the history of our local Goldenrod/Gabriella area.
Houses a collection of artifacts, photographs, documents and other materials related to the history of Lake Mary and the surrounding communities. Lots of old helmets, uniforms, models, magazines, papers and other memorablia that represents the military, especially Lake Mary's contribution to the various wars. The building was built in 1926 and is on the National Registry of Historical Places. It is run by the Lake Mary Historical Society which also has their meetings at the facilty.
The Bradlee-McIntyre House is the only surviving "cottage" in Orange and Seminole counties, a Queen Anne Style three-story, 13-room winter vacation house featuring an octagonal tower and "ginger-bread" trim typical of the flamboyant houses of the Victorian Period. It was built in 1885 by Nathaniel Bradlee, a prominent Boston architect and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Longwood Historic Society collects photographs, letters, tools and textiles that relate to the history and development of Longwood.
The T.W. Lawton House was built in 1890 in Oviedo and became the official home of the Oviedo Historical Society in 2010. The Cracker-style architecture is typical for the grove houses of its time. Museum contains newspaper articles, photographs, tools, textiles, furniture, early household appliances and farm equipment used for citrus and celery crops.
The Museum highlights Seminole County, the historical gateway to interior Central Florida via the St. John’s River. All artifacts housed in the Museum have been donated by residents. Exhibits, artifacts, maps, documents, photographs and special events all tell the stories of Seminole County’s inhabitants, their lives, lineages and local legends.
Sanford Museum collects and preserves historical material relating to the development of Sanford from it's earliest times to the present day. The museums collections include a local history archive, a Sanford photograph collection, a reference library covering the history of Central Florida, the Henry Shelton Sanford Papers with exhibits illustrating the history of the City of Sanford and the life and times of City founder Henry S. Sanford, a 19th century decorative arts collection, local business ephemera and a local sports collection. The Society supports the efforts of the Sanford Museum to accomplish its goals.
The mission of the Student Museum is to involve students in hands-on activities designed to interpret the past and to apply that knowledge to the present Operated through a partnership between the Seminole County Public Schools and The University of Central Florida, is located in the historic school building built in 1902. Exhibits include geography, Native Americans, pioneer life, early education, the local African American neighborhood of Georgetown, antique household items, dolls and local history. The museum is focused on programs for local school groups, but is open to the public on specific afternoons each week. Museum is currently closed at this time until a decision can be made as to its future.
A lot of their paper based collections are now with Special Collections.