The following resources discuss the process of researching treaties; they also identify useful print and Internet resources.
Basically, you may improve the efficiency & effectiveness of your search if you determine the following information early in your research process:
- Is the U.S. a party?
- Is the treaty bilateral (two parties) or multilateral (more than two parties)?
- Who are the parties?
- Do you know the title of the treaty or its popular name?
- What is the subject of the treaty?
- Do you need the full text of the treaty, or just information about it, such as an official citation or current status?
- Is the treaty very recent?
- Is it currently in effect?
- Do you know the date it was signed, ratified, amended, etc.?