At designated points in this half-day workshop, attendees will work on their own at a computer to retrieve data from the web in a series of exercises structured to reinforce key concepts, working with data for the local area.
- 8:15-9:00 Registration in room 223
- 9:00-9:40 Background on the Economic Census: Basic Concepts and Uses of the Data
- Scope of the Census; how data were collected; how businesses use the data; how government agencies use the data
- North American Industry Classification System and Census Geography
- Introduction to the NAICS system and how it changed for 2007
- 9:40-10:20 2002 Economic Census Products
- types of reports; release schedules; employers and nonemployers
- 10:20-10:35 Break; Reconvene after break in classrooms 235A and 235C
- 10:35-11:25 Working with Economic Census Data in American FactFinder
- Accessing data in American FactFinder; comparability issues in assembling time series data; reference materials
- 11:25-11:30 Return to room 223
- 11:30-12:00 More Frequent Business Data from the Census Bureau
- County Business Patterns, Statistics of U.S. Businesses, and more
The afternoon workshop will provide content identical to the morning workshop. Registration will begin at 12:45 PM with the actual training session running 1:30-4:30 PM.