combines Gale biographies with related full-text articles from magazines and newspapers, thousands images, and links to vetted websites.
People included are from throughout history, around the world, and across all disciplines and subject areas. Search by name, birth and death years and places, nationality, ethnicity, occupation or gender.
- List of Sources included, such as the Dictionary of American Biography is available on the Gale Cengage page about the database
UCF ARC Main General Collection -- CT 213 .B53
Identifies 12.7 million biographical sketches in more than 3,400 current and retrospective reference books, covering contemporary and historical figures throughout the world.
"indexes current, readily available reference sources, as well as the most important retrospective works that cover individuals, both living and deceased, from every field of activity and from all areas of the world.... BGMI indexes only reference works containing multiple biographies; it does not index periodical articles or books of biography about a single individual. Sources...are of several types:
- Biographical dictionaries and who's whos, which supply information on a number of individuals.
- Subject encyclopedias, which include some biographical entries.
- Volumes of literary criticism, which may contain only a limited amount of biographical information but give critical surveys of a writer's works.
- Indexes, which refer the user to a body of information found elsewhere."
Call Number: UCF Main Library General Collection - 3rd Floor -- LC1752.H57 1998
NOTE: Online access is limited to 1 simultaneous user ch4ck availability of print version
"This reference book presents an introductory essay and nearly 250 alphabetically arranged entries on events, ideas, movements, institutions, and persons in the history of women's education in the United States from the colonial period to the present."