DISCLAIMER: The Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) found in these links are available for information only. Since the composition of materials may vary by manufacturer, always consult the MSDS specifically issued for the product you are using.
The Safety Zone covers chemical safety issues in academic and industrial research labs and in manufacturing. It is intended to be a forum for exchange and discussion of lab and plant safety and accident information without the fanfare of a news article. Written primarily by C&EN senior editor Jyllian Kemsley, the blog also includes contributions from other C&EN staff writers as well as health and safety experts in academia, industry, and government.
"compiles information from several government agencies and organizations. Available database reports include: "Physical Properties," "Exposure Guidelines," "NIOSH Pocket Guide," and "Emergency Response Information," including the DOT Emergency Response Guide."
A cluster of databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals and related areas.
- HSDB: Hazardous Substances Data Bank. Peer-reviewed toxicology data for over 5,000 hazardous chemicals
- TOXLINE: 4 million references to literature on biochemical, pharmacological, physiological, and toxicological effects of drugs and other chemicals
- ChemIDplus: Dictionary of over 400,000 chemicals (names, synonyms, and structures) Breastfeeding & Drugs
- LactMed: Drugs and Lactation Database. Drugs and other chemicals to which breastfeeding mothers may be exposed Developmental Toxicology Literature
- DART: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology Database. References to developmental and reproductive toxicology literature Chemical Releases & Mapping
- TOXMAP: Environmental Health Maps provides searchable, interactive maps of EPA TRI and Superfund data, plus US Census and NCI health data
- TRI: Toxics Release Inventory. Annual environmental releases of over 600 toxic chemicals by U.S. facilities Genomics
- CTD: Comparative Toxicogenomics Database. Access to scientific data describing relationships between chemicals, genes and human diseases Household Product Safety
- Household Products Database: Potential health effects of chemicals in more than 10,000 common household products Occupational Exposure to Chemicals
- Haz-Map: Links jobs and hazardous tasks with occupational diseases and their symptoms Risk Assessment
- IRIS: Integrated Risk Information System. Hazard identification and dose-response assessment for over 500 chemicals
- ITER: International Toxicity Estimates for Risk. Risk information for over 600 chemicals from authoritative groups worldwide Animal Testing Alternatives
- ALTBIB: Resources on Alternatives to the Use of Live Vertebrates in Biomedical Research and Testing Archived, No Longer Updated
- CCRIS: Chemical Carcinogenesis Research Information System. Carcinogenicity and mutagenicity test results for over 8,000 chemicals
- CPDB: Carcinogenic Potency Database. Standardized analyses of the results of 6,540 chronic, long-term animal cancer tests
- GENE-TOX: Genetic Toxicology Data Bank. Peer-reviewed genetic toxicology test data for over 3,000 chemicals
Haz-Map now covers over 9,170 chemical and biological agents and 241 occupational diseases and is an occupational health database designed for health and safety professionals and for consumers seeking information about the health effects of exposure to chemicals and biologicals at work. It also links jobs and hazardous tasks with occupational diseases and their symptoms.