It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This research guide identifies materials for basic and advanced research in philosophy. It lists a variety of sources, including databases, reference works, and Internet sites useful for the study of philosophy.
English-language reference source for philosophy," has been the cornerstone of the philosophy reference shelf. Lauded for its clear and accessible presentation of wide-ranging philosophical subjects, the Encyclopedia has earned its place as a first-stop resource for general readers, students and educators.
Full text of 2000+ core research journals from the year of their inception, many dating back to the early 1900's, providing high-resolution, scanned images of journal issues and pages as they were originally designed, printed, and illustrated.
JSTOR also contains hundreds of Open-Access eBooks.
Browse by Subject:
- Area Studies (African American, African, American Indian, American, Asian, British, Irish, Jewish, Latin American, Middle East, Slavic)
- Arts (Architecture & Architectural History, Art & Art History, Music, Performing Arts)
- Business & Economics (Business, Development Studies, Economics, Finance, Labor & Employment Relations, Management & Organizational Behavior, Marketing & Advertising)
- History & History of Science & Technology
- Humanities (Bibliography, Classical Studies, Feminist & Women's Studies, Film, Folklore, Language & Literature, Philosophy, Religion)
- Law (Criminology & Criminal Justice)
- Medicine & Allied Health (Health Policy, Health Sciences, Public Health)
- Science & Mathematics (Aquatic Sciences, Astronomy, Biological Sciences, Botany & Plant Sciences, Chemistry, Developmental & Cell Biology, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Environmental Science, General Science, Geology, Mathematics, Paleontology, Physics, Statistics, Sustainability, Technology, Zoology)
- Social Sciences (Anthropology, Archaeology, Communication Studies, Education, Geography, International Relations, Library Science, Linguistics, Peace & Conflict Studies, Political Science, Population Studies, Psychology, Public Policy & Administration, Security Studies, Social Work, Sociology, Transportation Studies, Urban Studies)
"PhilPapers is a comprehensive index and bibliography of philosophy maintained by the community of philosophers."
"Using advanced trawling techniques and large scale crowdsourcing, we monitor all sources of research content in philosophy, including journals, books, open access archives, and personal pages maintained by academics. We also host the largest open access archive in philosophy."
Databases and Indexes
Use the following sources to find periodical articles about a particular philosophical concept, movement, or philosopher. In some instances, books, essays in books, and current book reviews also may be found in these sources.
Database that abstracts and indexes over 3,200 scholarly journals, and offers full text (often dating back to 1990) for over 1,000 journals. A number of philosophy journals are covered, such as Bioethics, Noûs, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, and Philosophy Today.
Indexes articles, books, and book reviews from more than 1,100 art and humanities journals. This database's primary use is to track citations to the works of a specific author through the "Cited Reference Search" feature.
Contains over 1.75 million bibliographic records on topics such as biblical studies, world religions, church history, and religion in social and philosophical issues.
Bibliography of Bioethics (1975-2009)
Main Library General Collection R 724 .W34
Annual index containing approximately 6,000 new citations to documents in the bioethics area. Ceased publication in 2009. During the 34 years it was published, provided the most comprehensive access to literature about the ethical, legal, and public policy aspects of health care and biomedical research. An online version of the Bibliography is available via ETHXWeb at Georgetown University. Many bioethics articles published since 2009 can be located in MEDLINE (Subject Subset delimiter: "Bioethics") or PubMed.
An electronic database of citations to articles appearing in more than 400 English-language periodicals dealing with the humanities: folklore, history, language, literature, music, philosophy, religion, and classical studies.
Full text of core research journals (including almost 1,500 titles in philosophy) from the year of their inception, many dating back to the late 1800s and early 1900s. JSTOR typically does NOT cover the last three to five years of journals.
Provides online access to articles in over 200 journals in the arts and humanities, sciences, and mathematics, including a number in philosophy. Usually, this database does not include the full run of a journal title.
Indexing and full text of articles for array of scholarly and popular topics. Provides full text for over 4,600 scholarly journals covering the social sciences, humanities, science, cultural studies, education, and much more.
A number of philosophy journals are covered, such as Bioethics, Noûs, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, and Philosophy Today.
Indexes articles, books, and book reviews from more than 1,300 arts and humanities journals. This database's primary use is to track citations to the works of a specific author through the "Cited Reference Search" feature.