EBSCO eBooks is an online collection of more than 55,000 electronic full-text books, which contains both current and classic items.
These ebooks are available when you log on remotely via EZproxy or when you are connected directly to the UCF network. Information about EZProxy can be found online at https://library.ucf.edu/my-account/ The ebooks can be opened and read online or downloaded for reading offline. Create an account within EBSCO to download an ebook.
To access EBSCO ebooks, click on Databases on the library home page. Click on E in the Browse Databases A-Z at the top of the page and scroll down to EBSCO ebooks.
- Using Advanced Search is recommended and is the default search screen.
- Use quotation marks for phrases (especially when searching the full-text).
- The SU Subject field narrows your search and makes it more precise.
- Use Select a Field if you are having difficulty locating books with your search terms.
- The TX All Text Fields searches the text of all the e-books. Use this with caution.
- Use a single asterisk * at the end of the root word for truncation (to look for different endings of the term). See examples in the Practice Exercises.
- You can view an eBook for approximately 15 minutes without another user checking it out; you can continue browsing as long as no one checks out the book; you will be logged out if there is an extended period of inactivity.
- The eBook Full Text link will open the book in the viewer tool.
- Click on the eBook title to view more information on the book.
- Click on the Table of Contents link to view the chapters. The + (plus) sign expands the chapter.
- Use the eBook My Notes to save notes on the ebook, You must be signed in to your EBSCOhost account.
- Tools available are at the top of the ebook page.
- Click the Dictionary icon to search definitions of words within the book.
- You cannot print more than 100 pages of a book and some books may allow fewer. If you exceed the limit, you will get a notice of possible copyright infringement.
- Click on HELP, located at the top right, then look in the left column of the HELP screen and click on ebooks on EBSCOhost. Information on accessing the collection, search tips, how to read books online, and some frequently asked questions are provided.