An important source of historical and genealogical patent information
Search U.S. patents full text from 1790
Note: OCR text has significant errors and omissions, but does allow free search of much text back to 1836. UCF affiliates can use better OCR in LexisNexis Academic (Source Directory: Browse / Intellectual Property Records / Patent Filings / U.S. Patents, European Patents, Patent Abstracts of Japan, PCT Patents, and U.K. Patents)
Classification search - uspclass: For the new Cooperative Patent Classification (CPC) use Espacenet
"Espacenet offers free access to more than 90 million patent documents worldwide, containing information about inventions and technical developments from 1836 to today."
- Full text PDF of US utility patents 1836-Present
- Search US titles, inventors and assignees from 1920-Present
- Search using the new Cooperative Patent Classification (CPC). Use "Classification Search" for detailed help
- If you have a U.S. patent number, use the Number Search and type it in the Publication Number box in the format us25151, no leading zeros
- Same field codes as USPTO web databases
- Search granted patents and pre-grant publications together
- Includes European and WIPO patents, Japanese Patent Abstracts, and Non-Patent Literature cited in patents.
- Advanced Search includes proximity search [full text search is limited to 1976-present]
- Fast downloading, printing, and exporting to spreadsheets
"The Lens serves nearly all of the patent documents in the world as open, annotatable digital public goods that are integrated with scholarly and technical literature along with regulatory and business data."
The European Patent Office’s DocDB bibliographic data from 1907 - present: 81+ Million documents from nearly 100 jurisdictions.
USPTO Applications from 2001 – present with full text and images.
USPTO Grants from 1976 – present with full text and images.
USPTO Assignments (14+ Million).
European Patent Office (EP) Grants from 1980 – present with full text and images.
WIPO PCT Applications from 1978 – present with full text and images.
Australian Patent Full Text from IP Australia Scholarly datasets
Scholarly records from PubMed (28M)
Scholarly records from Crossref (94M)
Scholarly records from Microsoft Academic(158M)
"This database lets you access 146 years of patent descriptions and images. You can search, retrieve and study more than 2,220,000 patent documents."
- Includes links to trademark databases and other Canadian company information